Early R53 Cooper S Buying Advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    R53 Cooper S
    Hi All,
    I was i the fortunate position in the early 2000's to have bought both a new Cooper in 2002 and a Cooper S in 2004. I've been on the lookout for a while for decent Cooper S to have as a weekend toy and now have the chance of a very early Cooper S with a Chilli pack and a panoramic roof that was registered on the 1st of September 2002. It's a one owner car that has only covered about 34k miles and has lived it's life just North of London so corrosion shouldn't be too bad hopefully.

The main things that have been flagged up on the MOT history are that it has a corroded front coil spring and brake pipes and possibly due to the low mileage these haven't been attended to due to only being advisories. The other thing that has caused MOT fails is a recurring problem with headlight aim, too low/too high etc.

Overall the car does look to be in very good order from the pictures but I can't get down to see it for myself due to restrictions. Although they aren't too far from Deutsch Tech in Milton Keynes who could do an inspection service for me for around £90 which I would think be a good idea. I do know that it was in at Deutsch Tech to have the front bushes replaced a few years back so they have seen the car previously.

I just wanted to get any kind of advice as it's been a long time since I've had a MINI and they were brand new back then.

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Some of the common problems with R53’s are engine oil leaks ,subframe bushes power steering problems ,cooling leaks the usual sorts of stuff ,get it checked over for these common issues and go from there sounds great with that mileage on it
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Sounds a good little car. Oil leaks are a problem on an R53 along with subframe bushes and coolant leaks. The boot above the boot handle is also bad for rusting
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    R53 Cooper S
    Cheers for the replies guys and the car is now booked into Deutsch Tech for an inspection. To be fair to the seller he is keen on having it inspected for his peace of mind as well and is being good enough to take the car and spend a couple of hours waiting for it whilst its being done.

All going well I should be going down to get it as soon as restrictions have been lifted

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprockutt View Post
    Cheers for the replies guys and the car is now booked into Deutsch Tech for an inspection. To be fair to the seller he is keen on having it inspected for his peace of mind as well and is being good enough to take the car and spend a couple of hours waiting for it whilst its being done.

All going well I should be going down to get it as soon as restrictions have been lifted
    Good news and a nice thing for the current owner to agree to do
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Good Luck with your prospective purchase, I think you’re going about it in exactly the right way under the current circumstances.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    R53 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Good Luck with your prospective purchase, I think you’re going about it in exactly the right way under the current circumstances.
    Cheers, it's not natural for me to be patient where buying a car is concerned but we need to be sensible these days with current circumstances.

Although it is a slightly unusual sale to be honest in that he had taken the advert down several moths ago after changing his mind about selling last year. I just recently dropped him a message to see if he was reconsidering selling again this year and fortunately he was. So given it isn't currently advertised for sale and that I've made him a good offer, it's all quite relaxed and he's happy to take it for the inspection knowing that I won't actually be able to come down and collect and conclude the deal until around the end of April.

I'm also a bit more relaxed with the inspection as although I've never used them it appears Deutsch Tech have a good reputation and know there way around mini's. I had only previously heard of them when looking into buying a brand new JCW last year and I seriously considered a DT Edition JCW. They produce these in conjunction with Berry MINI and the visual/suspension and exhaust modifications they make don't affect the warranty on a new car. I've not ruled out a DT Edition in the future at some point but waiting to see what they come up with for the LCI2.

Car
    R53 Cooper S
    So the owner took it into Deutsch Tech and the only thing they highlighted was a slightly corroded o/s front brake pipe. Not bad for a 19 year old car!

Road trip planned for the end of lockdown to collect

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_image4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	8767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_image1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	411.8 KB 
ID:	8768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_image0.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	8769

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Brilliant news. Looks a lovely clean well looked after car.

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    What a find, you will not get any better re ownership, milage & colour. Not my car but I'd keep something this good as standard as possible

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination