Cooper S Front Disc and Pads Uprade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Mini Cooper R56
    What are peoples opinions on the following front brake disc/pads combination?

MTEC1555 Dimpled and Grooved, protective coating with Yellow stuff pads £212.22 or EBC Slotted and Dimpled with Yellow stuff pads kit £226.21

Any recommendations on stainless steel brake hoses?

Much appreciated

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    I’m running Mtec Dimpled and grooves on my R53 and so far so good. Just about to change the pads to YellowStuff.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    I wpuld go EBC disks Mtec are just cheap oem disks drilled and grooved.

As for lines i would just contract hell direct.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    New sig coming soon

Car
    2021 F54 JCW
    I had MTEC drilled and grooved disks with Mintex M1144 pads on my R56 S, never a bother with them. Also fitted goodridge braided lines at the same time and the braking was significantly improved over stock.

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    I’ve had the M-Tec drilled and grooved on GP1499 for about 6.5 years now and after 30K+ miles there’s still loads of life left in them.

After a year with the M-Tecs I added EBC Yellowstuff pads and Hel braided lines and no MINI needs more stopping power than that set up will give you.

When Rocky needs new disks I shall have the exact same set up again.
    ...I’ll probably change them before I need them though.

Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Mini Cooper R56
    Thanks for the responses I am assuming that you leave the rears as standard but fit the stainless steel braided brake hoses?

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Macooper View Post
    Thanks for the responses I am assuming that you leave the rears as standard but fit the stainless steel braided brake hoses?
    I replaced all four disks. They are cheap enough so you may as well change the full set whilst you’re at it.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalLemming View Post
    I had MTEC drilled and grooved disks with Mintex M1144 pads on my R56 S, never a bother with them. Also fitted goodridge braided lines at the same time and the braking was significantly improved over stock.
    I'm running the same but with HEL braided hoses.......no issues so far. I run the MTEC discs and Mintex pads all round on the A4 Avant as well and they're damn good IMO as its a heavy car.....!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CiderFex View Post
    I replaced all four disks. They are cheap enough so you may as well change the full set whilst you’re at it.
    And they look wicked

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Mmmmm......don't know if that's true about MTEC.....but the only warping issues I've ever had with discs over the years has been with EBC....!!! Went through 2 sets of fronts under warranty for warping on my Mondeo Si in a matter of months. They may be better now tho
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post

As for lines i would just contract hell direct.

That’s completely wrong in my experience Rob.
    The ones on 1499 have lasted for 4 x HBT’s, every NMS & GP run that I ever did and also 5.5 years of commuting.
    I know that a few on here could confirm that I have never held back when on a run.
    If it was still on the road I would happily trust the ones on GP1499 on any run.
    I’m not too sure why you think that they’re OEM either...

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    I have been reliably informed that this is the case im just saying what i have found in my qest for disks and pad for the track.

Never said they wont last or warp ect

just they are oem with extra work done ie drill groves dimple

William did you jot have trouble with some rears the fist time round with the R53 im sure i recall

I was advised not to get them for the track as they have a tendency to crack esp if drilled but this gos for all drilled disks.

Just my opinion of corse.

And i have ran them in the past with no trouble on my GP and clubman.

only problem i found was the black coating can stick to the pads and course vibrations when braking if this happens you need to remove pads and grind the surface back a bit.

Just my tuppance worth and i have done a lot of resech on it as the r53 only really gets tracked so gets more of a hammering than you will do on any run .......

Stoney

New sig coming soon