MINI Paceman Launch - Sat 16th March 2013

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    It doesn't matter which car make or model comes out by which ever manufacturers out in the world, there are always gonna be haters
    I just don't let it bother me , any bickering etc just ignore it and dont get involved and just move onto the next item

The day I see a thread or article where EVERYONE likes the same new car/item etc etc is the day I eat my hat (if I had one )

Everyone has a right to their own opinion be it positive or negative

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyR View Post
    The fact is that the car's been made, and certain people are going to buy it and I hope they have a damn good chuckle at the disapproving glares the mini purists give them
    happy motoring chaps, think I'll be giving the forum a miss for a while, finding the bickering pretty tedious...
    I've taken a 'sabbatical' from the site in the past when things got too 'heavy', but I think this thread's actually pretty mild.

There's a difference between 'bickering' and responding to a post with which you don't agree. A forum is, according to the dictionary, a 'place for public discussion', so there are going to be differing opinions on any number of topics. However, if we don't post our genuine opinions for the sake of perpetuating a false sense of 'togetherness', that defeats the purpose of the forum - it just becomes patronising and pointless and really tedious. I try to give my honest opinion, as I expect others to do - we might not agree, but at least we know where we stand and can hopefully get along on that basis.

Labeling some NMS folks "MINI Purists", like some kind of 'Automotive Luddites' because they believe that the 'older' cars are essentially more true to the original 'MINI' ethos than some of the latest models is tarring everyone with a pretty simplistic brush. I certainly don't 'hate' the Countryman or indeed the Paceman, and there are some fine examples of both out there and on NMS, but I'm being honest when I say that I personally don't think they look as good or go as well as the Hatch - they don't do 'MINI' in the way I originally bought into, but I'm not disrespecting those who love them and I certainly don't glare at them! I'm into iTunes etc, and there are many great points about 'going digital' but they'll never replace the thrill of saving up and going into the record shop (remember them?) to buy your fave group's latest release. So new is fine, it's different and usually a whole lot more user-friendly, but you don't have to pretend you think it's as good or better than what YOU prefer. There's room for everything on NMS, including diverse opinions - within acceptable limits of course - ie no personal insults etc, but it's up to 'posters' to keep everything in proportion and if things get out of hand, the Mods can 'blow the whistle' and step in. Then we can all get together and slag THEM off!
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 18th March 2013 at 01:35 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Stating an opinion does not equal bickering

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

MINIme:)
    you guys totally entirely misunderstood the intention of my comment. Which meant "I live on my own, I only have one vehicle in the household." That was the entirety of what it meant. I would love to have access to a bigger car as well as the mini. It would be damn helpful with the stuff I've been carting about recently, but I don't. I wasn't slating anyone AT ALL. I would never EVER indicate that anyone didn't work damn hard for their cars or that anyone didn't deserve what they had. I wouldn't dream of being so misinformed, judgemental or rude. I know how hard I worked for mine and I know that the majority of people are the same. The fact that two cars would be a luxury to me is relative to my position, not to anyone else's. Have as many cars as you like - you deserve them!

I'd by the Paceman think it's a cracking looking Mini. Don't care what folks think as long as I like it. Heck I fancy a Peugeot 3008 just love the interior of that motor.
    Cooper Coupe...

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIme:) View Post
    I would never EVER indicate that anyone didn't work damn hard for their cars
    Whoa! Steady. Don't let Giz fool you. He does hee haw. He just manages to look good doing it.

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyR View Post
    happy motoring chaps, think I'll be giving the forum a miss for a while, finding the bickering pretty tedious...
    There's me thinking these are discussion forums, might as well shut them down if we are all going to agree or toe the party line.

Personally MINI should be small cars, small hatch, small 4x4 whatever. No to 5 door variants, the clubman should have only had 2 main doors but you can 'almost' over look the clubdoor because it was useless.

^^ it's actually very useful for tripping up the unwary on the drivers seatbelt, there's something satisfying about backseat passengers head hitting the seat base

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Col View Post
    Whoa! Steady. Don't let Giz fool you. He does hee haw. He just manages to look good doing it.
    Don't forget the cinema i have tucked up my sleeve for making those extra millions

Don't knock the clubdoor or "Princess" door as we call it. It is great for getting the grandaughters in and out of their car seats.