A Quick Preview Of The Future

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    [QUOTE=Mon the fish;320980]Would you not put the heat shielding on the bumper itself, if that's what it's main purpose was?

valid point ,all of the Evo's that I had,had carbon "heat shields" as standard and they looked all points considered I'am a sucker for a nice piece of carbon in fact I'am picking up another piece of the stuff on sat
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways Steve View Post
    Everyone knows each piece of carbon adds 10bhp and every sticker adds 5bhp so your findings would make sense ! Lol :)
    Wise Words Mate!

- - - Updated - - -

I read an interesting article the other day which done comparisons between MINI and Porsche from past to present and it was of the view that the newer "hot" minis are now Rivals to Porsche's! At first I dismissed it thinking it was a load of rubbish but when you actually started to read through it all you soon start to see the similarities between the brands and the target markets so maybe this is just another step in that direction ?
    Well both the VW Beetle (which spawned the Porsche family) and Mini started off as "Peoples' Cars" (Volks Wagen).

Back to the Future? Quite ironic if the brands and target markets are similar again today. I know that speccing up a MINI can cost a packet, but hopefully MINI's pricing structure won't start to reflect that of Porsche...

I can see where they're/you're coming from, but I'm still not sure if MINI will ever be seen in the same 'league' as Porsche - that might be wishful thinking on the part of MINI's marketing dept. And TBH I'm not that comfortable with MINI being positioned in that way - it was and is a car which has a following across a wide demographic spectrum, whereas Porsche (leaving out your 924/944s etc) is very much still limited to those with large wallets or easy credit. You could argue that there are similarities (MINI was and is seen as a quality product - backed by BMW - which stood apart from your 'run of the mill' hatchback) and that GP's are MINI's GT2/3 equivalents. So a bit of 'Social Climbing' might be OK for MINI, but to most folks a MINI will be a realistic proposition which stands on its own merits, and comparisons with the likes of Porsche could have both positive and negative effect.

I remember years ago (80's) that we in the 'West of Scotland Mini Owners Club' entered a team in the Doune Car Gymkhana for the first time and won, which severely p*issed off some members of the Porsche Owners Club (who usually won apparently), so much so that they changed the rules and the course the next year so it totally didn't suit the Minis... So to me, Mini/MINI will always be a real "Peoples' Car" which thumbs its nose at the really expensive stuff while running rings round them. Like your local Comprehensive taking on Eaton in the footy. So much more FUN than trying to become part of the elite!

Going back to the beginning, Lest We Forget - the Beetle was the idea of Mr. Porsche and a certain rather nasty wee man (with a moustache soon to be named after its owner) and a duff haircut, so the Mini at least wins in the 'Not the brainchild of an evil dictactor hell-bent on genocide and world domination' stakes.

Last edited by ELFMAN; 10th July 2014 at 04:37 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Latest on fire GT3 aside, Porsche's are also far better engineered then Minis, but I do see your point.

For the price most folk will end up paying for a JCW, you could get a really nice 997. I know where I'd put my money

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    Mini Cooper S R53 & Mini Cooper Clubman R55

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    [QUOTE=badwolf340;320999]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    Would you not put the heat shielding on the bumper itself, if that's what it's main purpose was?

valid point ,all of the Evo's that I had,had carbon "heat shields" as standard and they looked all points considered I'am a sucker for a nice piece of carbon in fact I'am picking up another piece of the stuff on sat
    And a lovely bit of carbon it is to
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Interesting, BUT Is MINI "the new Porsche"? Er, No

That would intimate that Porsche was now something else, which it isn't. (Despite the Cayenne and the Panamera). You could argue that Porsche lost its way in the 80s trying to satisfy red-braced £££ bloated London Stock Market Traders, and in fact it's only in the last few years that the company has rediscovered its true mojo and produced a series of great drivers' cars again. So you could say that "Porsche is the Old Porsche"!

Let's just forget comparisons and say that "MINI is the new MINI"

By the way, I REALLY like this... Black alloys would be cool, but the silver suits it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f56-spoiler.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	5287
    (photo from above link)

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Are there any interior pictures of the car ?

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    As you will be able to see the windows on the concept were blacked out. As they wanted to keep it under wraps
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz