Front brake pad replacement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Resident old yin.
    Hello,

My Cooper is showing 1000 miles to replacement of the front pads is required. It has covered 27 000 miles. This is surprising for me as my last car (R56 S) was traded at 35 000 miles and was showing about 5k more miles till they needed replaced on it.

Is it possible that the sensor could be telling lies? I will have a look at the pads and see how much life is left in them but I haven't had time yet.

Now, if they do need replaced, how much is a dealer likely to ask to carry out this work?

If I go to an independent and source my own bit will I only need pads and a new sensor? Is there a sensor on both sides or just one?

This realoem page looks like the correct one for info: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...23&hg=34&fg=05

If I buy my own bits, anyone any idea what to expect to pay?

My rear brakes are showing 10 000 miles to go.

Thanks!

Is the miles to go not an estimate, based on what the car thinks, not actual pad condition? Check the pad thickness

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mon the fish; 13th March 2014 at 04:48 PM.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Commercial Sponsor Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Hello,

My Cooper is showing 1000 miles to replacement of the front pads is required. It has covered 27 000 miles. This is surprising for me as my last car (R56 S) was traded at 35 000 miles and was showing about 5k more miles till they needed replaced on it.

Is it possible that the sensor could be telling lies? I will have a look at the pads and see how much life is left in them but I haven't had time yet.

Now, if they do need replaced, how much is a dealer likely to ask to carry out this work?

If I go to an independent and source my own bit will I only need pads and a new sensor? Is there a sensor on both sides or just one?

This realoem page looks like the correct one for info: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...23&hg=34&fg=05

If I buy my own bits, anyone any idea what to expect to pay?

My rear brakes are showing 10 000 miles to go.

Thanks!
    Hi there Ken

Couldn't help but notice your post and thought we might be able to help you!

It's not uncommon for the sensor to slip up and "guess the mileage" so it would definitely be worth checking the pads thickness manually or even bring the vehicle into ourselves so we can have a quick look at it!

It may just be the case that the sensor needs replacing or even reset.

After speaking with the service guys, we have agreed on a discounted price for Mini Scotland Members and for this particular car, a Rear Brake Service (i.e pads, sensor, fully fitted) would cost you £149 including vat.

Alternatively, the pads and sensor could be supplied alone at just £78.90 including vat for yourself

We could make a booking for you at our Kirkcaldy Branch any time next week if you would like us to carry out the work?

Any further questions feel free to contact me on 01592 657842

Cheers

Stuart
    Last edited by HF Parts; 13th March 2014 at 04:46 PM.

I thought that 1000 miles to go was soon enough that the first stage on the wear sensor has been triggered, so it's no longer guessing? This is assuming we are talking about a second generation. My R59 fronts are showing 1400 to go and have about 4mm on them, so I reckon there is a huge safety margin on the sensors.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by HF Parts View Post
    Hi there Ken

Couldn't help but notice your post and thought we might be able to help you!

It's not uncommon for the sensor to slip up and "guess the mileage" so it would definitely be worth checking the pads thickness manually or even bring the vehicle into ourselves so we can have a quick look at it!

It may just be the case that the sensor needs replacing or even reset.

After speaking with the service guys, we have agreed on a discounted price for Mini Scotland Members and for this particular car, a Rear Brake Service (i.e pads, sensor, fully fitted) would cost you £149 including vat.

Alternatively, the pads and sensor could be supplied alone at just £78.90 including vat for yourself

We could make a booking for you at our Kirkcaldy Branch any time next week if you would like us to carry out the work?

Any further questions feel free to contact me on 01592 657842

Cheers

Stuart
    HF to the help

But it was for the fronts
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Commercial Sponsor Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    HF to the help

But it was for the fronts
    Haha apologies guys!

Believe it or not i have actually priced the fronts and simply wrote rear! Prices remain the same

Regards

Car
    Mini Cooper
    You're doing well. all my R56 minis have needed brakes before 20K and I'm told its normal. They usually need to replace discs as well. My current cooper had front and rears done at 15k. Fronts were 260 plus VAT ( discs and pads) hope that helps

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by HF Parts View Post
    Haha apologies guys!

Believe it or not i have actually priced the fronts and simply wrote rear! Prices remain the same

Regards
    Thought so
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Resident old yin.
    Thanks everyone.

To HF, your price including fitting seems very reasonable. I will certainly consider this if I need to go ahead. Would need to wait until I am off work in April.

Duncan. I have heard about this but I would be very surprised and annoyed if the discs needed replacement. I have never had to have them replaced even in cars with up to 70k miles on.

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Neither had I until I got my first R56 mini and I phoned trading standards but there was nothing they could do. Friends in the motor trade say disks are made of pretty soft material now and I drive twisty, muddy, gritty country roads to work every day so guess its like sandpaper every time I brake.