• YES but not the look of the car

5 10.42%
  • YES the look but not performance

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazthemod View Post
    I say mod tastefully... these things really aren't that rare! When mini started doing limited editions back in the 90s like the sidewalk and the Rio there was also about 2000 of each and most of them look hideous now.

If it really bothers you keep the original parts but I can think of nothing worse than turning up to a meet and 4 cars are there with the only difference being the number! I don't really look at GPs at meets coz once you have seen one you've seen them all.

WC50 is a whole other story though - That really is limited edition and anything i did to that would be reversible.
    well i would say they are you dont see them every day of the week unless you have one or live next to one there where only 2000 made and i know of 3 that are no more so that makes 1997 of them left
    New sig coming soon

roysterdsb
    I voted yes, it's a good starting point for around £4k you can have very good handling and a healthy 250bhp, this is what i'd do -

Janspeed Manifold
    Newman Cam
    550cc Injectors & Mynes Tune
    ITG Filter

KWv3/Clubsport Coilovers (GP specific version)
    16 or 17" lightweight wheels
    R888s
    & 4 wheel alignment
    Carbotech XP8 front brake pads

All easily reversible if you need to. The above will transform the car from a performance and handling perspective (& yes i've driven a standard GP on 18" runflats).

Looks wise, externally i'd take it fairly easy - colour code the arches/smooth off the reflectors & ditch all the stickers as they ruin the aesthetics of the car in my opinion. Internally i'd ditch the heavy seats for a set of the Recaro Sportser CS seats for better support. Again can all be put back to standard.... with a couple of additional purchases from BMW.

All of the above IMO would not detract from what is still a GP & an all round more accomplished CSL than a standard GP. Saying that its good that everyone has their own views, it means there are more standard ones around to be modded

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    Nope, car handles perfectly as is

that is true but if you can improve it with out changing main parts then why not thats what i say

as i have said the only things i am doing is bulb upgrade for winter nights dim beam is not the best my braces as had them from Gusty and the manifold as had that and it makes a nice sound the cat is going in as well this time so it saves the boxes and hook up the arch lights apart from that its staying the way it should i wrecked my last s by moding it to much and giving it a hard life i will be taking good care of my GP as want to keep it
    New sig coming soon

Delboy
    It's a yes from me. I'm not saying that you must modify a GP but if you want to then why not - it's your car after all .

One of the big selling points of Mini is that you can personalise your car and I don't see why this wouldn't apply to a GP or any other special editions.

Car
    Mini R53 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Burple View Post
    yeah.. I think a decent set of wheels would top of an excellent tcar.. got to be the right wheels tho.
    were we not speaking about this last night??

Car
    Mini R53 2005
    ohh and i voted yes, due to people have there own opinions and they are the ones spending thousands buying the car in the first place, so i agree to let them do what they want, but it would be nice to see the proper/correct type of stuff being done.
    Last edited by Livi; 10th May 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    well i would say they are you dont see them every day of the week unless you have one or live next to one there where only 2000 made and i know of 3 that are no more so that makes 1997 of them left

You don't see many JCW on the road but that doesn't make them rare. I think when you get to the numbers of WC50 then fair point and that reflects in their price and i expect them to hold value much better.

Plenty of GPs on here .... that all look the same lol

Ryan got shot down in flames few weeks ago for wanting to mod his.... I hope he still does because done tastefully it would look cracking.

I looked at one before buying the JCW but decided against it because i would wanna spend more money making it look different. Plus the fact i think first gen looks really dated now inside.

This place is getting very anti-modding ... even my vipers got enough 'concerns' before a got them done. I wonder how many other people are spending more time on Northern/totalmini and MiniTorque because of this.

From Factory JCW to Audi TT Quattro - Might be back one day!

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Parts Dept View Post
    ohh and i voted yes, due to people have there own opinions and they are the ones spending thousands buying the car in the first place, so i agree to let them do what they want, but it would be nice to see the proper/correct type of stuff being done.

like ???? what would you do ?
    New sig coming soon

Car
    Mini R53 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    like ???? what would you do ?
    Well.... if i was to upgrade performance, i would check out which parts would be better for it, rather than going down the cheap route, but there will be people who might do that.

Things like wheels and such, would be up to the person who owns it.

You can go too far modding a car, any car in fact, but its down to peoples tastes and opinions that stop these going out of control, which it is always good to get any opinion.

Car
    MINI-less
    I say YES, as long as you keep all the original parts so if you want to sell it you can put it back the way it was.