space saver size

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    JC, is it a new car? I thought the 'Non Run-Flat' equipped MINIS came with a space-saver or at least a 'Tyre Foam' type kit to get you home (unless your sidewall's knackered). Seems a bit shoddy if you didn't get any of these bits of kit.

If it isn't new, did you still buy from a Dealer? If so, I'd be on to them to help you out, as you can't go driving about at the risk of being stuck in the middle of nowhere! One of the reasons I've always stuck with Runflats. Hope you find a solution.

I had a kit (foam and compressor) in my R50 cooper but my R56 S has nothing, but then I guess thats what the RF's are for. I thought that all mini's were sold with RF's on.(from new that is)

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    If you carry it 'in the back seat', or anywhere else, make sure it's well secured. If (God forbid) you ever get in a shunt, your 'spare' might take your head off!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

GCA3N
    If you carry it 'in the back seat', or anywhere else, make sure it's well secured. If (God forbid) you ever get in a shunt, your 'spare' might take your head off!

When you put them in the boot it is really well secured it's such a tight fit that it can't actually move. Would never recommend putting it in the back seat though, like you say if you were in an accident then you could be seriously injured or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by GCA3N View Post
    When you put them in the boot it is really well secured it's such a tight fit that it can't actually move.
    Unless your back seat folds in the impact...... That's why the Rally Guys have them all strapped down. I'm an old fart, so I think about these things

All new MINIS with 16's and upwards are on Runflats, so you don't need any spares or foamy stuff etc - just a cushion for the sometimes 'lumpy' ride.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    I think Duncan Stewart used to carry a full sized spare with him all the time
    Used to carry a full size 15" alloy on the back seat of my first Mini Cooper. Did it after a sidewall puncture on a dark, frosty night on a back road that the "gunk" would not seal - scary
    Always had it secured with the seat belt.
    On my last two Coopers I have paid for the optional extra Mini space saver spare wheel which is in a cage under the boot floor - you might be able to buy this kit to fit to your Mini

Car
    Mini Cooper
    All new MINIS with 16's and upwards are on Runflats, so you don't need any spares or foamy stuff etc - just a cushion for the sometimes 'lumpy' ride.
    Run flats on New Minis are now a optional extra

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Stewart View Post

I never new that, but I can believe BMW making another optional extra.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Would none of the guys in our racing fratenity not be able to point you in the direction of a breakers that may have all the gubbins to fit the space saver under the boot Just a thought
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

jcbadger
    Thanks for the good advice. I live in the Aberdeen area so the biggest breaker around these parts are Overton Dismantlers. They seem to have quite a few mini wheels in stock.

ta

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Stewart View Post
    You learn something every day!. So if you buy a new R56 S it comes with bog standard 15" non-runflats unless you specify otherwise? Or do they do 16" non-runflats now?