Playmini hotting heat sheild, moving right and melting bumper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,

I had the joy of having a playmini TT style exhaust fitted last month and I love it however, it hits off the heat shield and bumper which is has melted. The exhaust tip sits 2" out form the bumper which is technically almost illegal in the UK.

Any ideas why it sticks out so far? How did you guys get a good connection with the centre section? Mine was pushed in through pure human force. Maybe this was not enough. Did anyone have a rubber hammer used on theirs? I was going to try this. It batters the hell out of the heat shield when idling and when gets hot. It sticks out so far that it kinda looks stupid.

Cheers Dan

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Mmmmmmmm...all sounds a bit strange I, like many others on here, have a playmini exhausts fitted and none I know of suffer this problem My son and I fitted my slash cut one ourselves and it was a piece of cake to fit
    Its a long shot but maybe one or more of the brackets has been bent a bit out of shape in-transit. It all seems very un-playmini like as they are very well made IMO
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Should have asked......did you buy the cat back sysstem or just the back box..?? Shouldn't make any difference but maybe there are subtle differences between the standard centre section and the playmini one which is pushing it out of allignment with the furniture at the back of the car

Totally off topic...............3000 posts.........woooooohoooooo...!!!
    Last edited by Big Gordy; 11th May 2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: 3000 posts
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

It's an unsilenced cat back system. I just wondered if I hadn't pushed the two centre pipes in far enough. Possibly a few belts with a rubber hammer might push it in a bit further but i didn't wanna hit my new shiny baby with anything :(

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by wu_swordsman View Post
    I just wondered if I hadn't pushed the two centre pipes in far enough
    Don't understand this bit
    As far as I remember there is NO push fit bit on the exhaustIt's flanged ith 2 bolts holding them together (could be wrong tho as it wee while since I did it) so hitting it with a hammer will be no help whatsoever

It's a flanged connection at the cat end of the link pipe but the other end that connects to the back box section has four slits in it slots onto the back box pipe and is secured with a bracket.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Just had a look on their website and now see what your talking about
    I think you may be right in your thinking that one is not far enough up the other (ooooooerr missus) If it was me I'd take the two apart and rub down/clean up the male end of the pipe so you can shove it up further(this is sounding terrible now) Hopefully fixing all your problems in one fell swoop

Yer thats what I thought. I'm going to do this later on today. There was slight leakage at this section when first fitted which suggests to me that this be the case.

thanks for the input. I'm pretty confident now that this is the problem.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Yep, ensure that the male end fits past the open slits of the female end, also, there may even be an upset that the male end will butt up against when fully in

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    Also when fitting a Playmini exhaust the bracket for the rear silencer is sided so make sure it's the right way round otherwise the Exhaust sits offset slightly and melts the bumper