Another Fault, here we go again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bigcoyote
    My 04 S was making the "ticking" noise under acceleration - Took the local MINI dealer several days to find it -- it ended up being the harmonic balancer. It was separating from the pulley and causing the ticking noise.

Check your balancer - see if the "rubber" is separating from the steel.

I have a lot of background working on cars - I thought for sure it was a wheel bearing or something "driveline" related -- so did the dealer...... we were both wrong.....

Good luck & keep us posted

Car
    R53 GP
    Thanks for the replys and advice! Got a call from jcs this morning, its the rocker arm in which has gone. Awaiting a part for the car at the moment but should hopefully have it back by the end of this week.

Its much better than the 1st phone call I got from them on Friday, I was told that the whole engine was completely gone & a new one was needed. Glad they have found the real fault though

Any updates on yours J444?

Cheers

J444 JNY
    I couldn't get mine fitted in until a week on friday coming, so hopefully this time they can figure out what's wrong with it and will get it fixed.

Will keep you's updated with this, after i get the car back

Car
    R53 GP
    Got another call today, engine in my car has gone. LOL!

I don't find this funny, just trying to hid me anger. Don't know what to do, every solution to the problem is a problem itself. I can't really afford a new engine at this moment in time, can't afford someone to fit a engine If I source one second hand & I don't really want to do an insurance job as I'll loose my no claims bonus.

Awesome eh

Forbes
    That's crap. What you gonna do?

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    <in south park voice> HOLY SH*T DUDE

not good news... Are they sure? maybe time for a second opinion?

Car
    R53 GP
    I know, it honestly seems like a jinxed motor

They called me last Friday (before stripping engine) to tell me that the engine had gone, however on Monday they rang to confirm that it was only the rocker arm that had gone. Once they had fixed this they took the car out to Portlethen (5 mile drive) only to discover when they got back that the noise had returned. Back to square one again!

On Tueday they started with the stripping down of the engine in order to find the actual fault & today I got a call letting me know that its a new engine jobbie. The only good thing that could come out of the situation now is if they figure they can repair the existing engine, I'll need to wait and see if this is possible.

I phoned a local vehicle dismantlers and they currently have 2x One engines for R50/R52, both just touching 30,000 miles. Surprisingly they are quite cheap aswell, at least when comparing it to the price bmw are wantig. Just the cost of fitting is going to hammer me, may even have to flog and turn to the dark-side for a few months

Raging though as I was hoping to sell the car in Feb/March next year, now I won't have the funds to buy a new car
    Last edited by RyanK; 30th October 2008 at 11:26 PM.

Forbes
    Really feel for you mate. Hope you get it all fixed. One of the best cars out there

Car
    R53 GP
    Cheers, I'll keep you posted!

J444 JNY
    Gutted to here this

I hope you get things sorted out asap though