Are runflats really that important?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Eggy7496
    Thanks guys, made i should stick to runflats then... One last question, is there a noticeable difference in the handling of an 18" runflat and 18" non runflat??

The Dogfather
    Eggy, you poor guy it sounds like you don't know which way to turn.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggy7496 View Post
    Thanks guys, made i should stick to runflats then... One last question, is there a noticeable difference in the handling of an 18" runflat and 18" non runflat??
    YES, only one answer HUGE... IMHO obviously.

I have 18" non run flats on my summer wheels and I have been in a car with 18 " run flats with the same suspension setup and it just felt like a "crashy" ride and much less feel in the corners, so you didn't get the feedback from the tyres you would like..

all just my opinion, as BS said earlier, it is a balance between performance of the tyre, cost and getting home on a cold wet night..

just up to you what is more important. :)

The Dogfather
    Eggy, how many punctures have you had?

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggy7496 View Post
    I'll refer you to the Schnitzer test bloke's theory about runflat 18's.....

If you want to go fast and feel fairly composed on our sort of roads (ie lumpy etc), I'd give 18" Runflats a wide berth. Still - they're good for just posing I suppose! If you're looking for a compromise between practicality (getting home with a flat) and performance/looks, why not go for a good 17" runflat or maybe rig up some sort of spare wheel carrier in the boot and go for your 18's and non-runflats? There was a MINI with just such a setup at the Thistle Run a couple of years back.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Eggy7496
    Thanks again guys, i sorta knew what i wanted to get but one thing is for sure there gonna be black cuz they are gonna suit my new beast well!!! (Watch this space lol)

Sounds like non-runflats seem to be the way to go if your looking for performace and lower replacement cost on the tyres. I had a pretty bad puncture not to long ago and if i didnt have runflats then i was pretty f...... I felt they really saved my bacon, and now that i have had that experience (similar to what BS was saying) i would hate to end up like that again and ruin an alloy.

I think i have made up my mind lol. Either get the 7 spoke cooper s chille wheel powered coated black or go for the works bad boys!! I actually was going to get the works ones to start but was just offput my the cost.

But thanks again guys for your help.

EJ

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    I have a set of standard wheels painted satin black
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Eggy7496
    Hey man, they look awesome!! Was that pricey to get down?? They look fantastic!!

EJ

Sponsor
    I suppose I should add that my wheels are 16"...

The 17's look great on the car, but I prefer the handling capabilities of the 16's, especially with run flat tyres. IMHO 16's are the best compromise between looks / ride / handling / price.

I just wish they still made the Dunlop tyres I had on the car for the first two years... Dunlop's "replacement" just isn't up to the same grippy standards... :(

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    How about these BMW R99 wheels in anthracite:-

Last edited by Gismo; 27th February 2008 at 11:52 AM.