Newbie needs advice on runflats on JCW 18" rims

vintageb3
    Hi People...

I’m new here…this is my second post after the introduction post.

Yes I have tried to read as much as I can about the subject of this post before I posted it.

I know that runflat tyres have been discussed many times in this forum and others...but I still can't find specific answer to my questions…so hope you guys can help. I will post similar to an other MINI forum.

The front two tyres on my MCSC are getting low on tread. But, I’m still amazed how well they grip in the dry and actually in the wet too.

I am thinking of the possibility of changing to non runflats. I think the ride quilty is very bumpy but do realise that the hard ride is there to help ensure amazing cornering of the car. I do not want to change to non runflats if the cornering ability of the car diminishes.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer these questions here on this forum.

1. Will changing to non runflats invalidate the years MINI warranty left on the car?
    2. Will I have to contact my insurance company to advise them about this change to nonrunflats?
    3. Can I leave runflats on the back axle and change to nonrunflats on the front axle, until a change to all non runflats is feasible?
    4. Is it true, or not, that the runflat indicator will work with non runflat tyres?
    5. Will the runflat indicator work with a mix of runflat and conventional tyres on the front and rear of the vehicle?
    6. Has a member of this forum with a MCSC switched to non runflats and found a suitable compact spare? If this is the case, where do you keep this spare?
    7. If a spare can be acquired, what size is it? And what kind of tyre is fitted to it?
    8. Can any tyre fitting garage fit a runflat tyre, or does this have to be carried out by BMW?
    9. Can any tyre fitting garage remove a runflat and replace it with a conventional tyre?
    10. How good is tyreseal foam? Is there a preferred brand?
    11. Will conventional tyres wear quicker than runflats if driven in the same manner?
    12. I have read that runflats are more susceptible to punctures than conventional tyres, is this true?

In essence, I love how the car handles at present. I would like tyre grip to be the same if not better, rather than lose agility after I change the front tyres. Of course the financial side of purchasing & fitting runflats has me steered towards conventional tyres. However the simple fact that the runflat is a “safer” tyre in a two fold sense (if a total deflation occurs the tire will remain on the rim…and the fact that you don’t have to change to spare on the brow of a hill in the pitch dark and have a HGV plough into you or the car) has me thinking on keeping runflats.

If you guys can help with answers to the above….and maybe give me an idea on what precautions/etc you have in place with nonrunflats…I would appreciate the information.

Thanks in advance!

mark

X30YES
    1 I dont think so ...dealers might not trade in without runflats .
    2 No
    3 I dont see why not ...
    4 Should do I think
    5 Yes
    6 You can get a spare via US for a cooper but not for the S
    7 spare via US (as above)
    8 Yes
    9 Yes
    10 It does work but messy (very)
    11 No
    12 No

vintageb3
    quote:Originally posted by X30YES

1 I dont think so ...dealers might not trade in without runflats .
    2 No
    3 I dont see why not ...
    4 Should do I think
    5 Yes
    6 You can get a spare via US for a cooper but not for the S
    7 spare via US (as above)
    8 Yes
    9 Yes
    10 It does work but messy (very)
    11 No
    12 No
    Thank you soooo much for replying so quickly to my questions.

These answers will help me make up my mind which route I'm going to take.

Thanks!

mark

Car
    Mini Cooper S
    ok i have non runflats n i find not as bumpy!...."dinnae need sports bra":I....but on Q4...my tyres have been low n runflat indicator has no come on!....maybe it no workin n something wrong

vintageb3
    quote:Originally posted by sedgie

ok i have non runflats n i find not as bumpy!...."dinnae need sports bra":I....but on Q4...my tyres have been low n runflat indicator has no come on!....maybe it no workin n something wrong

Hi Sedgie

Thanks for the info

I take it you did calibrate the runflat indicator before you discovered you had low pressure?

Not teling you how to suck an egg on my first day mate :I

Car
    Mini Cooper S
    nah...when i had runflats...wee light came on when i hud low pressure...now it doesnae....n i have JCW 18' on