Well I can stop worrying about getting a ding in the MINI now, cos tonight I was parked by the kerb and was starting to reverse back a little to give me enough room to pull out from behind the car parked in front of me, there was nobody behind me, when suddenly bam! - an ejit in an old grey Peugot wreck came flying in from the other side of the road and hit my offside rear bumper.

I got out and somehow remained calm and objective, he asked if I was reversing as he couldn't understand how he misjudged it - could have been something to do with him having to cross the road and narrowly miss a central island to get into the space...

Anyway, he did say sorry, was not worried about about his car , and did not even look at his front bumper.I didn't think it was worth getting insurance involved as it was one of those situations where there would be no conclusion as to whose fault it was and we would all end up losing our no claims bonus, besides he was a kid and we all make mistakes, I know I did when I was young.

I was very lucky that he only grazed the rear offside black plastic wheel arch (actually the rear 'mudflap' which fits over the original arch) and has scuffed the bumper, right down to the under lying plastic. Has not dented anything thankfully.

Having told you all of this, I feel a bit better but need some advice on repair - I'm not feeling flush enough to replace the whole rear bumper for this as I'm sure it would be expensive by the time it gets sprayed (Indi Blue) - but is it possible to get the part of the bumper where the paint is rubbed away resprayed to match, can it be done without removing the bumper?

Any advice welcome, I live in Fife so am looking for somebody local to do the job.