Replacing Brakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can anyone tell me how to access the handbrake cable in my pre facelift MINI as I'm a bit stumped.

Also, my dealer told me recently that all of my brakes needed replacing and on inspection they quite clearly don't. My discs have barely any wear on them and the front pads still have a fair amount of material left on them. However, the inner pad on my rear nearside brake was worn all the way down to the base material while the outer one is fine (why i didnt notice when i normally check my brakes).
    My theory is that the piston may well be jammed, has anybody had a similar problem that can offer me a bit of advice?

Gorbash12346
    calliper could well be seized but would can't diagnose from my seat here hehe as for how to get at the handbrake cable it's under the handbrake gaiter you'll need a deep 13mm socket to undo it but getting the gaitor unclipped without breaking it is a complete ****er of a job

Cheers Gorbash. I know, I tried at the weekend and only succeeded in pulling a bit of the leather away. Think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy a winback tool. Any advice on how to service the calliper? Think my mum has a similar problem actually.

Car
    Mini Cooper
    quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

However, the inner pad on my rear nearside brake was worn all the way down to the base material while the outer one is fine (why i didnt notice when i normally check my brakes).
    My theory is that the piston may well be jammed, has anybody had a similar problem that can offer me a bit of advice?
    Yup, that's what happened twice on my Black Cooper - second time they replaced calipers & discs to fix the problem.
    My understanding is that the handbrake works on the inner pad, the handbrake may become sticky, particularly in winter, and this results in the handbrake staying on enough to not be noticed but enough to wear down the pads. Something about the road dirt / salt getting into the caliper.
    I now try to park on the level and not use the handbrake to avoid this happening. I also, when safe to do so, use the handbrake to slow the car every so often, which I was told would help keep the handbrake working freely.

Hope this helps

Balls!!! I think it's happening in both cars. Part of the drive has a slight slope, so one of them has to have the handbrake on tbh. Is there any way of servicing the caliper rather than replacing it?

Car
    Mini Cooper
    I would have thought the caliper could be dismantled, cleaned , new seals, etc. Mine was under warranty so didn't touch it myself.

Warranty ran out 3 weeks ago...makes you sick!!