Replacing Brakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I need to replace my discs and pads on all four corners and have decided to fit them myself to avoid paying a squillion quid in labour for a job i can easily do myself. Where I am encountering a problem is finding the tool to separate the rear calipers and i was wondering if anybody had 1 i could hire/borrow and also if there were any tips i might find useful?:I

there a peice of piss to do..

tools Needed...

1. Elbow Grease..
    2. Special Star Socket( Disc Removal.)
    3. Special Allen Bar. ( Caliper Removal)
    4. Wheel brace.
    5. Pri bar.
    6. Snib nose Pliars..

Goes like this..

Remove Wheels Chocking the car according to Haynes as we all dooooo....
    then Slacken the Bolt that holds teh Discs on ( WITH AN ASSISTANT HOLDING THE BRAKE.... Easier)
    then Remove Caliper With Caliper Removal tool...
    then Slide Out Brake Pads. ( Watch if you have the Sensor/warnign light for Low break pads.)
    Screw the Piston Back Into the Caliper With Snib Nose Pliars..(Might want to Slacken the Resevoir first.)
    Unscrew Remaining Threads on the Disc and Change.
    then Re fit calliper.

Job Done.

Remember though Copper Grease stops squeeling and Don't Drive at warp speed after you changed tehm They need to bed in..

good Luck...

If you were In Aberdeen I would have done them for you..

Gorbash12346
    what you need... in slightly more in depth terms is..

a 7mm allen key socket for undoing the calliper
    a large flat blade screwdriver is handy for removing the spring clip
    then you will need a T60... it might be T50 torx socket for removing the disc however i'd use WD40 on the back and front of it as it seizes and snaps very easily

then you don't need to remove the calliper carrier just lean the disc and it will come out

as for the callipers as they are directly affected byt the handbrak get a 10mm deep socket and slacken your handbrake cable till there is no tension and some free play but not enough to completely remove it from inside the car (underneath the handbrake gaitor)

then you need to turn the calliper piston clockwise while pushing it back..

quite tricky without the correct tool but can be managed with some needle nose pliers and some determination... just don't keep trying to turn it when it stops or you will seize it. repeat with 0ther side then rebuild press brake ppedal to bring pads bak into contact and then tighten and adjust handbrake to however many clicks you require..

hope this helps

Gorbash12346
    also if you have a sensor wire running into the back of one of the sides brake pads you will need a replacement sensor, it can be done without replacing it but tbh it's 50/50 wether it breaks or not on removal

thanks for the help guys, now to go buy the discs/pads!

BigSwanMiniMan
    Johnny,
    Front Pads £45
    Rear Pads £32.50
    Front Discs £63 (per set)
    Rear discs £63 (per set)
    All in stock at Menzies MINI
    BigSwanMiniMan

james f
    blimey thats cheep i paid a bit more and got the lohen ecb kit and its good have heard good things about the GTT spirol shots as well

Aberdeen Al
    I replaced my front & rears with the GTT Spiroslot brakes - they squeek now & then but are far superior to the standard ones and not that expensive either!

james f
    im sawwping to the GTT ones and getting the front kevaler pads up grade as my rears are now wapred

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    quote:Originally posted by BigSwanMiniMan

Johnny,
    Front Pads £45
    Rear Pads £32.50
    Front Discs £63 (per set)
    Rear discs £63 (per set)
    All in stock at Menzies MINI
    BigSwanMiniMan
    i just did my pads and got front and back standard pads for less then the front pads alone !!!!!!
    New sig coming soon