Tips for Fitting SUB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AN03REW
    Am thinking of fitting a small active sub. Just want alittle more kick of bass. I do have a good kenwood stereo 4x50w and all the out puts. Theres a small infinity active sub 8" about £145 with wiring kit and bass controler that I was looking at. Or does any one have any sugestions what to get. Dont want to take up to much room in my boot. Wheres best to run wires and is there a hole in bulkhead for a power cable to be run through? Or could I use the 12v plug all ready in boot? Thanks for any help.

Wul
    Andrew - I'm sure LnL, Zimbo etc will be along with the full bhoona reply shortly but here's my version.

There is a grommet in the bulkhead on the drivers side below the windscreen wiper - might be the clutch cable if I remember right, where you can pass the cable through. I ran my cables up the sides tucked under the edge trim at the carpet - running the power up one side and the trigger lead up the other.

In the Boot i've got a 200W Kenwood Amp fitted to the back of the rear seats and a 10" sub tucked in the corner in a Blue Peter (home made) enclosure of sorts. It takes up minimal space in the boot - Mikeythemini makes a custom fibreglass sub enclosure too - but for a cheap install they can be a bit pricey - but very good i've heard.

Although if your are buying an active sub then you won't need any of that.

:)

OBN
    Can't you just use the spare battery that lives in the boot, I got rid of mine to save a little weight, strange how the Aux socket in the boot gets its own battery.

:clown:

Wul
    LOL - Sadly us poor Cooper drivers don't have such a luxury and the fag lighter socket in the boot won't take the current draw from an amp!!

There a Right Nightmare to do..

Power Cable is the Main Problem. Throught the Bulk head. alright if your hands are like a 2 year olds But if not your going to need Double jointed Fingers hands and Wrists.....

If you look on the passenger side of the Bulkhead there is a grommit there that is the Best one to use. Best if you get a Probe and get your way through and then attach the Power Cable to the Probe and Pull it through that way. Total Skutter But worth it..

oh and Make sure you run the RCA leads down the Opposite side from the Power Cable. If you don't then You will end up with a Buzz that will do your nut In.

I remember seeing your car in Aberdeen couple times if your needing any assistance then I can easy Advise

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I had mikeythemini's sub in my old S, fitted perfectly, was velcro'd in place for easy removal for carrying luggage if required.
    Never actually took it out, just worked around it

Wul
    Sorry Brizee - the one at the drivers side is soo much easier - simply stretch the grommet with a pencil and squirt some WD40 on it and the cable goes through easy-peasy: See pics below

Boot Install:

Location of Grommet:

Close up:

Exit in drivers footwell:

:)

aww bugga Thunder has been stollen..

I always seam to do things the hard way.

Thanks Wul for the Info..

Everyday is a school day..........

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Wul, did you run the cable outside the car to avoid noise????
    Did you consider just running the cable inside the car but away from [s]teh[/s] the power cable??

Wul
    Alan - power cable runs inside down the drivers side trims; RCA's and activation cables run down the passenger side trims; earthed the amp to the chassis inside the left dookit - theres a handy stud on the chassis in there. Not a jot of noise. :)