Removing the bonnet stripes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    T6 KFR
    any ideas how i could remove the bonnet strips I have? Isit a hairdryer job , and do you thin the colour underneath will be a different shade???

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    hot, but not boiling water from a kettle, then the old hair-dryer.. I would give the bonnet a good polish after that though...

X30YES
    As Craig said , hot water ,and a hair dryer,working from the grill up as it might be easier to catch an edge there .You might see some colour difference ,depending how long they have been on and how much sun has had a bleaching effect on the paint work .You might also have to take off all the wax/ polish (Fairy Liquid)and start to build again ...John at Apex will be a good and worth while telephone call.

T6 KFR
    that was my main worry, colour difference with the sun:disapprove:

maybe i should keep them on, just fancied makiing the car look different...

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by T6 KFR
    maybe i should keep them on, just fancied makiing the car look different...
    Taking them off may make the car look different

ScottyC
    the main reason for paint fading in the sun was that they used to mix the lacquer in with the paint for the finish on solid colours which left the paint with no protection from the sun. they don't do this anymore and i would be pretty certain that your paint WON'T have faded any. it'll have 2k lacquer on the top. even in the unlikely occurence that it has faded, enough tlc will bring it back to its original colour but it would fade again easily and would require polishing regularly to keep it looking good.

T6 KFR
    I may try it some time and see how it works out.

Just getting round to it I suppose, but when i do - everyone will sure be told how i got on

ScottyC
    what you will find is that you obviously won't have any surface scratches where the stripes would've been and depending on the nick of your bonnet it might be obvious. again though, if someone that knew what they were doing with a hand buffer was to run some compound over the whole bonnet the difference would most likely be minimal

T6 KFR
    quote:ScottyC Posted - 26 Nov 2006 : 19:13:22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    what you will find is that you obviously won't have any surface scratches where the stripes would've been and depending on the nick of your bonnet it might be obvious. again though, if someone that knew what they were doing with a hand buffer was to run some compound over the whole bonnet the difference would most likely be minimal
    good point made there - never thought of that:disapprove:,u must have worked in a body shop before???

The Dogfather
    It's a five minute job with a hairdryer. My car hadn't faded just gave it a good coat of polish and it looked great.