Gearbox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Following a conversation with Aberdeen's mini mechanical guru I wondered if anyone can tell me what problems they've had with the gearbox which has justified a trip to dealers. Reverse has always been a pain in the butt, but now on occasions gear change has been stickier and hasn't always engaged as it should. Am I being optimistic in thinking I can smell a new gearbox (and clutch )? 76K miles and still got nine months warranty

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

Sponsor
    quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

Following a conversation with Aberdeen's mini mechanical guru I wondered if anyone can tell me what problems they've had with the gearbox which has justified a trip to dealers. Reverse has always been a pain in the butt, but now on occasions gear change has been stickier and hasn't always engaged as it should. Am I being optimistic in thinking I can smell a new gearbox (and clutch )? 76K miles and still got nine months warranty
    GRIND THE BOX AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! You dont want to end up like me... 4 months out of warranty and your gear box packs in. :disapprove::(:mad::(:mad::disapprove:

Sweeney
    dont use the clutch, just jam it into gears, thatll sort the bugger out

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    well thats just fantastic advise to give on a puplic forum:evil:

Sweeney
    Joking aside... :clown: Well chances are it could just be worn linkage causing it to be troublesome getting into gear although clutch wise they have their own ways of telling you its due, such as very high biting point, pedal going to floor etc etc

Take it in, get them to examine the gearbox and gear linkage and clutch if you wish, they will no doubt charge for it but id get them to check for worn linkage if anything.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    ever since I got my car (it came with 200 miles on it) it has had a noisy gearbox. Soinds like my clutch release bearing is noisy as when you dip the clutch the noise goes away. Ive had the car at Menzies and Selkirk and Eastern and they all say its fine appart from one mechanic at the Eastern who ran out to the carpark after me to say that he thinks my car does have a fault and that if I brought it back in I should ask for him to fix it. He thought it was clutch release bearing and a faulty diff. As it also makes a loud clunking noise now every time I change gear. I only have 16K on the car now.
    Sarah's convertible also has a bit of a noisy box but its no as bad as mine. (and you lot wonder why we fancy a merc this time) its cause our cars spend more time at dealers than they do on our driveway.

X30YES
    Solution to .."it has had a noisy gearbox. Soinds like my clutch release bearing is noisy as when you dip the clutch the noise goes away". After all sorts of bits being changed to get rid of a noise that I had and a visit from the BMW Guru, the G/box oil was changed to the older oil they seemed to use ..something to to with the numbers ....(Gorby might know), it seems they newer boxes have different oil to older models ....I worked and they noise has gone .I also had steering noise problems and drive shafts changed to try and get rid of the noise, at the end of they day the oil changed worked .

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Well thanks for the advice Wasnt planning on sabotaging it just want to know if the symptoms I described above rings any alarm bells with those who've had to get the gearbox changed. I think I'd need a gun at my head to deliberately hurt my wee specy - MINI ABUSE :disapprove:

Sweeney
    Sound advice it is too sheilz , Sabotaging wasn't suggested though was it? It's still in warranty so get them to check it out nonetheless

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Yes, sounds like a plan. Though with my mileage I imagine there will be a great deal of puffery going on to avoid warranty work. But hey that's ok, I deal with awkward ********* on a daily basis