Runflat warning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Had to get new tyres fitted today. Mechanic/fitter was quite alarmed that there were no sensors on the tyre valves which made me wonder, should there be? where the hell have they gone? and if not, how the hell does the system work?
    Late afternoon went over a pothole and a couple of miles later the runflatwarning came on. This has happened a lot lately. I always check my tyres when this happens just in case and invariably get different readings. Today I just reset the darned light having just done a few miles on new tyres etc, etc. Is this worth a visit to JC?

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

Sweeney
    Its a rotation based sensor than a pressue sensor. It monitors the rolling radius or whatever of each wheel and if ones punctured or loses pressure it picks it up... Mine worked fine as soon as a screw popped out my tyre it bonged and lit up straight away well in advance of losing most of my control

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    Calm yourself.. take a deep breath

The runflat system works in a different way..something to do with differences in height from the ground.. or something.. can't remember exactly off hand, but nowt to be alarmed about. sure somebody else will be along soon to confirm

[edit]: Er, yer.. wot he says ^

duncan
    Remember, however, if all the tyres deflate at a similar rate, then the rotational speed will be similar of all the tyres, and not be detected by the RFD.

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    Judging by what you told me today about the tyre fitter Im surprised he has even heard of run-flats or even sensors

bigcoyote
    Hey all,

The runflat / air press. warning uses the ABS / Traction Control sensors ( I think )
    It monitors the rotation of the wheels and if one is turning faster than the rest ( smaller tire diameter = low air press. ) then the light turns on.
    Mine normally does not go off untill there is at least a 10psi drop in the tire.

There are no sensors in or on the wheels / tires that I know of.

That being said - was the tire shop still lit by oil lanterns or did they upgrade to electric lights yet

Wannabe F1 test pilot Neil and Lorna's Avatar
    Sheilz

I hope it wasn't the same tyre fitters that did your tyre before Oxford in April.

Neil.
    Neil Lorna

MINI Countryman Cooper S All 4

X30YES
    "That being said - was the tire shop still lit by oil lanterns or did they upgrade to electric lights yet".

Sheilz ....seems all the high mileage you do is starting to tell you something me thinks

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    quote:Originally posted by duncan

Remember, however, if all the tyres deflate at a similar rate, then the rotational speed will be similar of all the tyres, and not be detected by the RFD.
    So if the cops try to stop you with a Stinger, you won't even know you've been stung.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

duncan
    The flashing blue lights are normally a give away in that case!