Octane! Some info please SC

The Dogfather
    Fi

I remember a while back you said that BP and Shell fuel is the same, what about Esso?

The Brabus should only be run on 98 Octane fuel, Shell V Power and Ultimate are all supposed to be at this level. Esso's Supreme is marked up as 97, is it really 98 though?

Also how come some BP garages don't have Ultimate (i.e. the one in Huntly)?

Thanks

OBN
    Probably useless info but Shell V-Power is 99 RON

The Dogfather
    OBN, I knew that my fuel of choice. Finding a Shell garage is sometimes tricky especially out our way.

You have Grangemouth refinery and Coryton.

Esso have one a Fawley

Shell one at Stanlow.

All the mojor oil companies refine their fuel to the same standard i.e. 95 Octane and are supplied to the Oil Terminals as such.

It's only once at the loading gantries that the additive which contains a octane booster is added.

in the case of say Tesco's 99 ron it is 95 unleaded with just a octance booster added and no additive. The same for Esso they would pick up 95 ron and and a octane booster would be added to bring it up to 97 ron but no additive.

In the case between BP and Shell yes they use the same additive but shell "may" have more of a Octane booster.

It is also the opinion of some that perhaps the standard ron "could" be more than 95 but is marketed at 95 to be on the "safe" side.

Retail sites will only carry ultimate at sites where they reckon they will see a demand for it.

If it is only the ron you want to consider then I would use any fuel marked at 97 ron or above from any retail site. In rural areas where you can't get the major sations I would use either National - Gleaner - Scottish Fuels. As I know for defo these are either shell product or BP.

However if you want the additive then it's either SHell or BP.
    Cooper Coupe...

The Dogfather
    Thanks SC, Shell or BP it is then

james f
    i think my car is fussy it dosent like esso one bit and its favorte food has always been optimax or v power for some reason bp ultimate dosent have that little boost that shell has given me just my experinces thow

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    quote:Originally posted by charlie croaker

i think my car is fussy it dosent like esso one bit and its favorte food has always been optimax or v power for some reason bp ultimate dosent have that little boost that shell has given me just my experinces thow
    I would agree with that entirely. Our MINI positively hates Esso and BP doesn't agree with our CAT, nor did we see any real performance boost. It runs smoother & is more punchy when drinking Shell V (Previously Optimax). The fact that they are virtually the same leads me to the only comment possible.... "go figure!"

VB/OBN, I thought V-Power was actually nearer 101 octane. Just something I heard. Could well be wrong. Often am.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

N12 JLK
    Picked up a leaflet from shell yesterday on their V-power and states its 99ron