K series or A series?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    STick wit the A-series all the way. I remember reading a few articles on the K-series conversion a few years back and it seems to be a lot more bother than it's worth. THe ground clearance at te front to the engine is also a nightmare when the K-series is in a mini shell - Seen a few at various shows...
    If you *REALLY* want to convert it, the Vauxhall 16v twin cam or Honda Vtec are the only ways to go!
    There's a company out there that specifically buids subframes to mount these into Minis, though they're not cheap! (roundabout £3k if it remember rightly... though I could be wrong )
    If you choose to convert, be aware that whatever one you choose, there'sll be a fair about of bodywork extension and chopping, in the case of the Vauhall and Honda engines you'll need to add at least 3 inches to the length of the front of the car so the engine will fit! Unless you fit a Clubman front end.
    I've only ever seen one round nosed mini where this extension actually looked professional enough not to look out of place and wrong....
    And that was the guy up in Aberdeen (I think his name was Leigh?) and it turned out like this:

certainly was leigh and his car cost him in teh region of £35,000 to get looking like this......

Car
    quote:Originally posted by bpirie1000

certainly was leigh and his car cost him in teh region of £35,000 to get looking like this......

Ouch!!!!
    'Tis a beautiful toy tho!

K18ARY
    Seen that mini with the vxhl 16v conversion. Not a big fan of th 90mm longer wings tho! Think it spoils the proportions.

There are a lot of cars out there that have k series in the standard round nose. Big mods are needed tho, webber box, turbo mods to bulkhead and a self fabricated subframe.

The more I look at the med website the more I fancy a "hot" a series. Plus I have managed to get hold of a straight cut MED gearbox for nowt! seems thats the way to go then. I can feel a winter project coming on!:)

Car
    quote:Originally posted by K18ARY

Seen that mini with the vxhl 16v conversion. Not a big fan of th 90mm longer wings tho! Think it spoils the proportions.

There are a lot of cars out there that have k series in the standard round nose. Big mods are needed tho, webber box, turbo mods to bulkhead and a self fabricated subframe.

The more I look at the med website the more I fancy a "hot" a series. Plus I have managed to get hold of a straight cut MED gearbox for nowt! seems thats the way to go then. I can feel a winter project coming on!:)
    Do It!!!

Car
    Mini Cooper
    I'd stick with a nicely tuned A-series for your freshly restored mini :approve:
    But if money is no object then a clubman front end and honda v-tec would be good

K18ARY
    A-series it is. Been speaking to the guys at MED and I reckon I am going to go for the engine kits as I want to build it myself, plus its only £500 for the short engine!

I always think that clubmans need to be done in a really 70's style with slotmag alloys and other bits of period charm. However a sneaky V-tec under the bonnet would be brilliant. An expensive engine conversion to do tho!