K series or A series?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    K18ARY
    Ok now I have got it going and I actually understand auto electrics I was thinking.........should I go for a 1380 MED engine kit or keep that 998 for a year or so and start stockpiling parts for a 1.4 16 v K series conversion?

I know I would be able to do it, only thing I am not sure about is that my mini is a bit too good to start butchering. What do you think?

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    If its in good nick I'd leave it as it is. Just my puppence worth....its your car to soop up however you please How easy is it to fit the K series engine:question: There was one at Arbroath with a Honda engine in it and it looked a bit of a sqeeze
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    R56 MCS
    A series all the way

K18ARY
    It is a bit of a squeeze and having looked at a few conversions on 16vmini.co.uk there seems to be quite a few bodges. What I mean is that there is not set way to do it. There are kits you can buy with the appropriate mounts etc but it is a bit "haud it and daud it" in a lot of cases.

Whereas a sorted A series would keep the originality it still ain't the most advanced nor that reliable. Dunno what to do!

lightbody
    Every single Mini ever produced from 1959 to 2000, had an A-series engine.

Its now a genuine classic car.

Nuff said.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    You might have more reliability issues with the K series than you will with the A You've got to keep an eye on the water levels in the K as they can blow cylinder head gaskets quite easily. Plus there are more go faster goodies for the old A series than for the K at the moment Ross has the MG ZR105 which has the 1.4 K engine and he enquired about the same engine they use in the touring cars (can't remember the name :I.....just remembered....JUDD) and was quoted about 22 grand thats just the engine and gearbox..eeeeek :approve:
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

K18ARY
    jaysus! £22 grand!!!! I suppose I didn't really think about the K series upgrading aspect! There is no way I could just put the engine in and be done with it. Would much rather do a bit of tweaking!

I have bought the Vizard book to get an idea about the A-Series. Would just like to get rid of that A-series whine from the gearbox and have a 5th gear also hence considering a k-series.

broken_brian
    the k series is too big to fit in a mini unless u go for a clubman front end or do quite a lot of fabrication to lengthen the front of a standard one. Just to be picky the 1.4 k series are ok for head gaskets as they are a dry liner type block its the 1.6 and 1.8 that give you problems as they are wet liners and they have a tendancy to move slightly as i have helped fix my mates dads car twice now due to this happening :mad:

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I was torn between the minisport 1430 and the MED 1380 conversion, the guys at MED were very helpfull, go for the 1380 it'll probably be more reliable

A-series Everytime..

I know a fair number of People who shoe horn Other engines into minis and tehy just don't have teh same exhaust note .. The Sound of A Mini is Unique.