My Cooper S test.

Resident old yin.
    My car is in the dealers for first service and the courtesy car they gave my is an EB Cooper S. I have to say the car is amazing and will have to start saving now for my next MINI.

The S is so fast as the pull in each gear is just amazing. I thought my ONE was a nippy wee car but when I get it back tonight I'll probably feel like I'm standing still. The whine from the supercharger sounds great. I've only done about 40 miles in it along the A1 and back along one of my favourite roads which is the East Lothian coastal route from North Berwick to Musselburgh.

HANDLING - Corners slightly flatter then my ONE but I was surprised and pleased that it didn't seem to drive that much differently than the ONE. Had the DSC (not ASC+T) kick in on one roundabout and although it felt weird to have a drop in power it was quite subtle and I'm sure it's worth having. Haven't driven a car with ASC though so can't compare with that.

RIDE - I thought the SS+ (16" wheels) was very comfortable. I thought it would be a lot more jiggly than the ONE but not that much firmer than the ONE.

CONTROLS - I definately prefer the 5 speed gearbox as it is much smoother and lighter to operate. Getting into reverse takes a real hard shove to the left. Having to positively push the lever to the right to keep it in the 5th/6th gear plane takes a bit of getting used to as well.

BUILD - As far as I could tell this car is a "pepperoni" pack as it has everything from chilli except 16s instead of 17 wheels. I have to say that if anything the build in terms of squeaks is worse than mine. The drivers seat is really noisy whereas mine is quiet. Not keen on the blue carpets and cloth bits of the seats as I think they would get grubby too easily.

FUEL CONSUMPTION - Worrying. I reset it and after my run last night the computer was showing 22.9mpg I'm sure that's because I was enjoying the car but the car is so addictive that you'd want to put the foot down too often to get decent mileage out of it.

Overall the S is one fantastic car. A bit pricey but no doubt worth it and I'll definately consider one when I've paid for the ONE I've got.

Monsta Mo Mini
    A very dangerous move there Ken....

Linda M
    I've just put 2000 miles on the clock and the engine is starting to get really smooth It's been way beyond expectations for me, I think it's amazing

Julz
    I'm at 7500 and BabyB just gets smoother and faster all the time!!:I

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by Julz

I'm at 7500 and BabyB just gets smoother and faster all the time!!:I
    7500, thats where my rev limiter comes in as well :clown:

Bonnie Scotland

Julz
    In the words of one of the greatest philosophers, BOOM BOOM!!:I

Linda M
    Hmmm, I'm going to be a bit controversial now

After a drive down to the jet spray (yes that's right "I WASH") with Willie's Stouffer today, I've Kinda decided that the Cooper is just such fun. It seems to have a different kind of 'fun' factor to it than the 'S'(I can't put my finger on it)and I'm not sure that the next time round I might go BACK to the Cooper, with the JCW of course

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by Linda M

Hmmm, I'm going to be a bit controversial now

After a drive down to the jet spray (yes that's right "I WASH") with Willie's Stouffer today, I've Kinda decided that the Cooper is just such fun. It seems to have a different kind of 'fun' factor to it than the 'S'(I can't put my finger on it)and I'm not sure that the next time round I might go BACK to the Cooper, with the JCW of course
    Wow, Willie M, hide the cheque book, she's gone over the edge again.
    Linda, you must try driving Daisy a bit harder and then you'll see where the real fun is :evil:

Bonnie Scotland

Uncle John
    Greetings from North Texas! My S is an EB with premium, and cold weather. We bought it in mid November and now have 9700 miles. While driving a remote area of New Mexico last week, I set the cruise control at 100 mph and the OBC showed 31.5 mpg! I let it run that way for about a minute and then coasted down to "legal" speeds again. This little car is fantastic. The longer we have it, the better I like it.

This picture was taken in Tucumcari, New Mexico, along a restored section of the old US Route 66.

http://teoh.us/gallery/albums/contributions/Rt_66_Monument_2.jpg

Have a great weekend!

Sponsor & Jakey
    Wow I would just love to drive Route 66 in a MINI. Who knows, maybe one day :)
    Occasional MINI driver....... but mostly Uma Thurman ;0)