Clutch Question

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    sjfield1
    I have a bit of strange questions to ask. I took my car to Menzies last week coz i had a list of a few problems with it. One of them was the turbo kept kicking in and out. I was told that day that it was the clutch slipping. I have only done 8k in it, and they tell me i might need a new clutch.:( Its going in to get it stripped to find out if its faulty, or wear and tear. If they take the clutch out am i entitled to ask for it? Also someone mentioned to me that they have to keep a record of everything they do and see, can i ask for this too?

Sweeney
    If the clutch is slipping, generally its "done" to put it simply, of course it could be a problem most likely worn down though (how long has it been like that?). As far as i know, you are allowed to keep/take any parts taken off your vehicle although if you do no collect within a specified time limit they can charge for storage. As far as keeping a record that should be standard practice to keep a log of every job, from reported fault to actual fault and solution. (never worked at bmw so wouldn't know)

Only Me should be able to clarify though

sjfield1
    quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

If the clutch is slipping, generally its "done" to put it simply, of course it could be a problem most likely worn down though (how long has it been like that?). As far as i know, you are allowed to keep/take any parts taken off your vehicle although if you do no collect within a specified time limit they can charge for storage. As far as keeping a record that should be standard practice to keep a log of every job, from reported fault to actual fault and solution. (never worked at bmw so wouldn't know)

Only Me should be able to clarify though
    Its been slipping for about a week. Its a driving school car, bit p**sed off though, coz both my last minis did 50k on one clutch. I haven't done anything different with this one, and its knackered. I am still driving it, if its going to go, it will go! Need my car to keep working.

Sweeney
    if you wanted to, you could do a clutch in a matter of minutes, although im surprised its lasted as long.
    What you should notice is the revs die down then shoot up and it kind of yo-yo's.

They certainly shouldn't go after 8k though, all be it a driving instructors vehicle it should be able to cope with stress unless you rev the nuts off it when de-pressing it (ie. drag racing, wheel spinning etc).

Mini Me
    It is VERY unusual for a cluth to go,but it could simply be a fault in the materials, or summat:dead:.
    As far as getting the parts back, if it's warranty work, the chances are it will be sent back to BMW for inspection.
    You will get a report on the day as procedure,nothing to worry about though(told you, never change gear when youv'e got your purse in your pocket,weighs too much)

you have my mobile number,so use it !!!(if you don't pm me):I.
    i will speek to service before the deed is done....

sjfield1
    Hey, thanks. I just got a bit concerned when they said it might not be done under warranty! I wish my purse was that heavy, then i wouldn't be worrying about the lovely bill that i might have to pay

I like Sweeney's comments about the wheels spins etc! Can just imagine, i would be struck off as an Instructor! and yes, it is making the yo-yo rev sounds, that why at first i thought it was the turbo. As you can probably tell, i am not all that great with the mechanics of the car! :)

Moonshine
    the MINI doesn't have a turbo

Gerry

Moonshine
    at least not yet.....i don'y think... am i wrong?
    apologies if i am.

Gerry

Sweeney
    diesel

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by Moonshine
    at least not yet.....i don'y think... am i wrong?apologies if i am.
    Gerry
    There may be one in the diesel ya f@nnie