Ipod integration rears it's head again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    euan
    I'm looking for some advice on the old ipod integration problem.

From what I see, there are three options - the MINI/BMW solution, Ice link Plus, and Connects2.

BMW quoted my £230 odd to fit their solution, and been quoted similar for the connects2 thing (which from what I make it just does the same thing).

I like the sound of the ice link (esp as it'll do ID3 tracks names on my stereo), but some garages I've spoken to won't touch it as they've had a few problems with them.

Anyone got any of these and what was your experience?

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Are you installing onto a standard head unit?? with the priced you've been quoted it might be worth upgrading the head unit and getting the correct iPod connector, that will charge the iPod and play at the same time and show tags, you can get everything you need at New Mini Stuff
    Personally i would never use Dension stuff again, played havoc with the car electrics and also froze my iPod contantly :disapprove:

euan
    Ah, so THAT's the kind of problems with Denison! I heard problems with the iPod freezing, but not buggering the cars electrics.

I hear what your saying about the headunit, but it's to go into the 3 series so want (need?) to keep the existing unit in there. Will look at the connects2 unit again I think, unless I can get BMW to go a bit cheaper (however, I suspect it works on the same principles.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by euan
    I hear what your saying about the headunit, but it's to go into the 3 series so want (need?)
    When i had the 330 i replaced the head unit as the BMW was very naff, simple swap, well for John it was :I do you have the nav screen etc, if not then i would still change the head unit

lightbody
    My pal bought an FM transmitter (£30, PC world, made by Belkin). It works really well! No hassle. And can be taken to any car or radio.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/product/BELKIN/IPOD+FM/603053

euan
    quote:Originally posted by lightbody

My pal bought an FM transmitter (£30, PC world, made by Belkin). It works really well! No hassle. And can be taken to any car or radio.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/product/BELKIN/IPOD+FM/603053
    Thought about doing that (since they will soon be legal anyway ), but as I live in London, I think I'd spend all my time retuning the blooming thing as EVERY possible FM option is taken by dodgy local stations or pirate stations.

euan
    quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by euan
    I hear what your saying about the headunit, but it's to go into the 3 series so want (need?)
    When i had the 330 i replaced the head unit as the BMW was very naff, simple swap, well for John it was :I do you have the nav screen etc, if not then i would still change the head unit
    No Sat Nav (wanted it, can't afford it!) so maybe an option, just like having the look of the standard head unit and while sonically it may be a bit pants, it's good enough for me (not enough bass though!)

Wul
    i'll second the aftermarket headunit route euan - my alpine setup works a treat (thanks fiona)as you can browse playlists, albums, artists and tracks using the dial on the headunit and it charges the ipod at the same time:)

lightbody
    quote:but as I live in London, I think I'd spend all my time retuning the blooming thing as EVERY possible FM option is taken by dodgy local stations or pirate stations.
    I've been told the solution is to remove the car's aerial...

alanm73
    I've got the Denison ice link from new mini stuff was about £100.

Works a treat, never frozen, displays the tracks on the head unit, steering wheel buttons work the ipod, it's always fully charged when i take it out the car to use whit headphones, to sum up i would highly reccommend it.

p.s its used on a 2006 ipod video 30gb.