A Little Advice Needed Please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jayex
    OK, I am Armed with all my new products and raring to go ahead and tackle my slightly neglected paintwork . Just wanted to check I was going about this in the right way and more importantly in the right order :clown:.

I have alrealy washed and clayed the wee beastieusing a sheepskin mit and the 2 bucket method. I used Mguires Quick Clay as I have never clayed a car before in my life :I (I must say I found this really easy to use). Unfortunately this is a far as I got today so obviously I will have to repeat this step before tackling all of the following by hand :dead:.

Ok, this is what I had in mind...
    Poorboys SSR2to remove light scratches and swirls
    followed by NTX Tec wax
    followed by a coat of EX sealant
    finished off with a coat of poorboys nattys paste (blue)

hopfully resulting in a nice shiny happy Mini and more likely a very sore arm :disapprove:
    any advise or tips appreciated 8)).

Sweeney
    so long as you've clayed the paint completely, i found tar spots on mine which had been [s]neglected[/s]ignored and were very hard to get off with the clay...

If your positive the paints spotless and smooth then wire in, your plan sounds fine with me :) obviously allowing time for the polishes/waxes to each take their effect.

jayex
    oh.. how long to i wait between stages - i know i have to give the EX as long as poss but didn't know you were suposed to wait between the others, do you think its possible to get a half decent result by hand? cheers for the help sweeny

Jayex, if you want some practice my car is in the long stay car park at Aberdeen airport - Cheers Sully x

jayex
    quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Jayex, if you want some practice my car is in the long stay car park at Aberdeen airport - Cheers Sully x
    PML.. ha ha Sully... i will be right on that - Cheeky Monkey

Sweeney
    well generally once the product has "dried" to its buffing off stage its ok to do the next layer of whatever, but i find that leaving it a couple hours helps. Different products have different reactions and results.

Hence why scottiecoops is a week long job :)

I however don't have the opportunity to take as long as that mine is a day and a half tops.

Wul
    Some people say you should leave 24hrs between each product to allow them to cure properly on the paint - this means a lot of washing unless you have a garage!! 8)

jayex
    [quote]quote:Originally posted by jayex

Originally posted by Wul

Some people say you should leave 24hrs between each product to allow them to cure properly on the paint - this means a lot of washing unless you have a garage!! 8)
    i'm loosing the will to live lol ... dont think i will be doing that - my arm really would fall off do i need a paint cleaner before the SSR2 do you think or are the products above ok? 8)

Wul
    Nah - the SSR2 will do the trick after claying.

It's only between the wax coats you should leave timeto cure.

OBN
    What's this 'clay' thing everyone's talking about?!?! Think I need an idiots guide to achieving a shiny car.

Is there a step by step guide somewhere or can someone give me a definitive list of products and the correct order to use them?