Good And Bad Points..........

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    quote:Get a bodyshell out of carbon fibre
    I know a guy who has a glass fibre bodied mini:approve: Its only got a 998cc motor in it but because its the same weight as a packet of corn flakes it goes like stink:approve:
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Sweeney
    probably works out at 4 litres per tonne Would rightly be a pocket rocket right enough, would be a lot more agile as well?

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Right, dilemma time, never having been in a classic with a straight cut box i can't get an idea on the noise created.
    Minisport have agreed the stright cut box will be a lot stronger, but, noisier, can anyone comment

It'll sound like a JCW S at 6000rpm, whining like a banshee

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    yeah, from what I understand, it will sound a bit like having a supercharger in the passenger cabin with you

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    So, would the noise be over bearing after a while, especially if i go on a clan or NMS run, i'll have to travel at motorway speeds to get to most runs and i don't want to be deafened by the time i get to the start point.
    I'm keen to fit the gears to ensure the box is strong enough to handle the power
    But, as Gordy mentioned, if the standard box is more than enough i may just get it reconditioned at the time.
    Be a shame to do what i'm doing only to wish further down the road i'd installed the straight cut box :I
    It's the only stumbling point i've got at the moment, oh the decisions, where's John when you need him

can I ask what is a straight cut box. how does it differ from a normal gearbox.:I:question:
    Cooper Coupe...

Sweeney
    Style of slots on the gears (at least my limited knowledge suggests thats what it is), they are usually cut at an angle. (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm)

edit: yes i think im right just done a few google searches!

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Your right Sweeney Standard cogs are machined in a helix a bit like the large gear on the right hand end of your picture. The purpose of this is to ensure a smooth transition between each gear at change time and a quiet gearbox:approve: A straight cut gear is a lot stronger but the down side is that they 'whine' a lot:dead: To be fair its usually only guys racing/rallying that I've seen them in before where a whiney gearbox is the least of their worries Alan have you had a look at a guy called Jack Knight's website:question: He's one of the first guys to do a mass produced 8 port head and a 5 speed box for the old 'A' series engine (as far as I know:I) There's loads of books on tuning the 'A' series engine.....a guy Steve Visard springs to mind. I can't remember the standard box being known as the weak link but I understand that with the work your doing to it it would be silly not to look at the box while you were at it :approve:
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

broken_brian
    Keep the standard gearbox and just change the drop gears which take the power from the crank into the box the helical cut gears tend to wind against each other and it puts extra stress on the bearings when you are putting more torque through them. And with you retaining the standard gearbox the noise will still be on the quiet side with just a bit more whine from the drop gears, like the supercharger on a works s. Hope that explains it a bit better :)