World Cup Football Thread

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    The Dogfather
    Right, I thought I'd set this thread up for people wishing to discuss the football currently being played in the world cup. Please don't use this thread to post:-

1. Post complaining about commentators.
    2. Negative press stories about fans (any country)

It's just about the football. Mods can you please help out with these rules I know it's off topic and banter.

The Dogfather
    First what teams have impressed and disappointed so far :question:

So far Italy, Argentina, Ivory Coast and the Cech Republic look good. Whilst England (2nd half), Brazil (fat Ronaldo) and France have looked way off the pace.

The Brazil match last night really showed how layed back the Brazilians can be they never really got out of second gear.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    France were a big disappointment, they hardly threatened the Swiss defence, even knowing that the Swiss team are not too bad, but, if France have any expectations of winning the event altogether they will have to up their game.
    The Aussies were a surprise to me, against Japan they just had the extra bit of will to win at the end
    I'll try and regulate the thread as per your wishes

The Dogfather
    Thanks Alan. I thought the Aussies had blown it to be honest really didn't look like they'd do it, and Japan could and should have punished them on the break.

Can't way to see the Aussies play Brazil though, plenty of bookings in that game I bet. Looking forward to see how Spain get on today with the Liverpool players Alonso and Garcia expected to play from the start.

Player of the tournament so far - Pavel Nedved

Smitty
    Best looking team so far has been Argentina. Chechs looked good too, but Argentina were so comfortable agaisnt Ivory Coast, depsite the score not really showing that. Defence was a little dodgy but their attack made up for it. And thats all without Messi!

Brazil looked very poor, hopefully they will improve, just to spice things up a bit. And i though France were horendous, extremly poor and would be suprised to see any imporvement. Henry looked lazy and Zidane is well past it.

I'll pass no judgment on England until I see the Trinidad game but from the Paraguay game they do not look anywhere near good enough to beat the likes of Argentina, Chechs or Germany.

X30YES
    AU did it for me , and deserved to win v Japan ...they wont win it, but might go through ! ....'they had the extra will to win'. The non fancied teams might just shock a few of the big guns as well .Hope they do .

The Dogfather
    Its looking like it'll be a good tournament, some of the favourites not up to scratch and some 'unknowns' looking like they might just spring a surprise or two.

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    I have to say something about Trinidad and Tobago (if only cos I have them in a sweepie!) I think if they play like they did in the last game, England are gonna have their hands full! Especially if they play the way they did against Paraguay!

I'm taking a liking to the way they play, and Ghana, who I think were really unlucky against Italy..

The Dogfather
    T&T certainly won't be a walk over as they'll be even more fired up for the England game. Although that could go against them and we might see them get a player sent off.

Agree with you about Ghana though, Essien had a great game but he's a very dirty player :(

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Brazil didn't half look flat last night. They were clearly just going through the motions and I was really hoping that Croatia would get something from the game. What was wrong with Ronaldo??? He looked like he just couldn't be arsed!