i-pod

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Music can be removed from the iPod in a couple of ways that i know
    A freeware programme called Ephod can do it, but you'll need to read the instructions as i've forgotten how it works
    Or, the long way, simply connect the iPod to a computer, open iTunes and burn disks of the tracks you want onto re-writable DVD's or CD's then rip them into MP3's onto your PC, long winded but it works but mosty importantly it's NOT illegal

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    The power connection for the i-pod is the same port that's used to transfer the stuff across Wul so I wouldn't be able to charge it from the wall and connect it up to my X-Box and play tunes from it at the same time. I want to be able to plug it into the X-Box and leave it there.

Unless sleepy is right and the dock will mean it can be charged via USB but I don't know if that's the case?

Wul
    I presumed the point of the dock was it had a separate power lead and a usb lead so that people with non-powered usb sockets can still charge the ipod.

Mark R
    Dock uses one cable. I had mine in the dock when I tried it. Charges and access info on the one connection to the computer. Firewire was used before they switched to USB, that's the 6 pin firewire port which also provides power and not the smaller 4 pin port.

There is however a cable available that allows you to plug it in via USB and charge from the power adapter with firewire. They, Apple, made it for people with PCs that didn't have a firewire port built-in on their computers. So if you could find one of those then you could use an older iPod. They don't sell them anymore but you might get one of them on eBay.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Col, you do realise that you can only play music on an iPod on iTunes that is connected via a USB to iPod cable :question:
    Once you insert the USB cable into a device like the xBox it simply charges it, if you then insert a mini stereo cable into a hi fi with RCA's or similar you won't be able to play any music.
    If you connect the iPod to a computer using a USB to iPod cable you'll be able to open iTunes and play the music through that whilst it's charging.
    So, can you explain exactly what you want to be able to do with the iPod when it's connected to the xBox, if it's simply to charge it you'd be better off with just a dock and power supply :approve:

I want to be able to play my music through the x-box Alan mate, otherwise I'd just plug it into a wall socket. :) Sorry folks I just realised I never made that clear.

You decided to come down to £100 Alan mate? Awwwww ok...£110?

Wul
    You can also pick up a cheap usb hub (£15ish) which has a power lead, plug one end into the xbox and then the other end into ipod cable - that get's round the need for a usb2 port. unless as MMM says only the 4th gen onwards charge from usb. 8)

like this one!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Hmm, just did a bit of searching online, it would appear that yes, you can listen to music from an iPod through the dashboard.
    The reviews i read did not mention what type of cable was used, so, Col, do you know if it does work and with what.
    I'm offshore the noo, but will try it when i get home, not that i need it to work, but just curious

You can defo play the i-pod through the X-box Alan mate that's what I've been doing but it's wrecking the battery on my current i-pod as it keeps charging it when it aint empty which is why I want one to just leave hooked up. You just connect the i-pod up to the usb slots in the front of the X-box behind the wee flap. :)

Wul from what I've looked at it's only 4th gen that charges from USB. Aint that why Euan was selling his? If not then we may have a solution!

Sponsor
    quote:Originally posted by Wul

You can also pick up a cheap usb hub (£15ish) which has a power lead, plug one end into the xbox and then the other end into ipod cable - that get's round the need for a usb2 port. unless as MMM says only the 4th gen onwards charge from usb. 8)

like this one!
    Wul, I bought the belkin usb2 hub with power cable on the assumption that it would act as a USB hub when connected to my USB1 port on my laptop. Unfortunately this is nt the case. The only way to get USB2 is to install a USB card. The power cord is simply to boost the power supply when you stack more than 5 hubs... according to belkin anyway.