Aurora Now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3GGG
    Its back again tonight ! - Nice green curtains in the North.

3GGG
    The 'Merry Dancers' are overhead now with curtains going down towards the north. Get away from the city lights and have a look if you have the chance.

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    Went out again last night... about 12.30...
    Wow.... Really bright reds and white!! that was pretty cool..
    Seemed to start in a point almost overhead, and fan out towards the north East and north...
    So was it different coulour depending on how far north/south/east/west you were?
    I'm in Dundee... (well I was standing in the middle of bloody nowhere at the time freezin me ******* off!! Thank feck for heated seats!!... )

3GGG
    quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
    Went out again last night... about 12.30...
    Wow.... Really bright reds and white!! that was pretty cool..
    Seemed to start in a point almost overhead, and fan out towards the north East and north...
    So was it different coulour depending on how far north/south/east/west you were?
    I'm in Dundee... (well I was standing in the middle of bloody nowhere at the time freezin me ******* off!! Thank feck for heated seats!!... )
    Glad you saw it!

The colour of the aurora is dependent on which atoms are excited. Atomic Oxygen in the upper atmosphere produces the green. When the storm is very intense nitrogen molecules emit the crimson red colour. There are also Ultraviolet components that we can't see in the spectrum of the aurora.

No two aurora are ever quite the same, how they look depends on where you are relative to the auroral arc and how intense the activity is.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by 3GGG
    The colour of the aurora is dependent on which atoms are excited. Atomic Oxygen in the upper atmosphere produces the green. When the storm is very intense nitrogen molecules emit the crimson red colour. There are also Ultraviolet components that we can't see in the spectrum of the aurora.

No two aurora are ever quite the same, how they look depends on where you are relative to the auroral arc and how intense the activity is.
    And just exactly who on here is as qualified as me to argue with that :evil:

Bonnie Scotland

macblob
    certainly not me lol

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    heh heh... nice... must have been pretty darn intense last night then!!
    BRIGHT RED all over the sky!!

Some pretty excited atoms out there....

3GGG
    quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

And just exactly who on here is as qualified as me to argue with that :evil:

Bonnie Scotland
    Well the question was asked 8)

Some old aurora photos I took:
    http://www.gm4jjj.co.uk/visual_aurora.html