Windscreen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Just a wee question for those folks with classic's (especially Duncan S as I know you've probably recently done this)

My wee boy Dougal is soon to get his nose touched up :), but the windscreen may have to come out to get the job done right. Is this a hard job and if so what is the best way to go about it.

All (sensible) info on the subject greatly appreciated..

thanks

Craig

broken_brian
    Right as i have done this a few times now the easy way to do it is to take the chrome trim out of the seal. Place a sheet, sleeping bag, duvet or all of the above on the bonnet, it is also handy to get a few friends to help with the next bit but it can be done on your own. Now comes the fun part, get into the car put both feet against the TOP of the windscreen and push very gently you will feel the seal felxing so try not to worry too much or sneeze.(this is a very nerve wraking moment), Try to position your feet so that you are spreading the force evenly. The screen should push out from the top of the seal first this is where said friends help out by then helping to ease the screen out the rest of the way and placing it on to the padding on the bonnet. I know that it might sound a very iffy way to do it but it does work as i have done it on both my minis and did not break the screen, it's when i put them back in that i break them.

Car
    see brian, it's the breaking of the screen on the way back in that I'm afraid of.... :disapprove::disapprove:

That is indeed teh best method to take tehm out. Even auto glass use that.....

I found that putting in the screen is the head ache... Especially if you have fitted a new scuttle. mmmmmm Night mare. Make sure the hole is the right size first. DOH!!!!!!!( ADMITTION THERE)

Think best to get a pro to fit it..

good luck and let us know how you go..

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

...Now comes the fun part, get into the car put both feet against the TOP of the windscreen and push very gently you will feel the seal felxing so try not to worry too much or sneeze.(this is a very nerve wraking moment), Try to position your feet so that you are spreading the force evenly....

lol....
    Sorry.. but all I can do is picture Craig trying to get into position inside Dougal to do that! It's easy for you Bri, wot with being a skinny wee bugger I'd have the opposite problem.. I dunno if I could reach the windscreen with me feet!

But you're right enough, it's the easiest way! You might wanna get your mitts on one of those windscreen removal tools too (cheap from places like Autosave), for help with taking out and replacing the seals..

Car
    quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

...Now comes the fun part, get into the car put both feet against the TOP of the windscreen and push very gently you will feel the seal felxing so try not to worry too much or sneeze.(this is a very nerve wraking moment), Try to position your feet so that you are spreading the force evenly....

lol....
    Sorry.. but all I can do is picture Craig trying to get into position inside Dougal to do that! It's easy for you Bri, wot with being a skinny wee bugger I'd have the opposite problem.. I dunno if I could reach the windscreen with me feet!

But you're right enough, it's the easiest way! You might wanna get your mitts on one of those windscreen removal tools too (cheap from places like Autosave), for help with taking out and replacing the seals..

that's why it will not be me pushing the screen out!! I have enough trouble getting into the motor, without trying to get out of it through the windscreen!!

what job you getting done to It??

corner scuttle??

usual place.

or a full length scutle..

or what??

Car
    quote:Originally posted by bpirie1000

what job you getting done to It??

corner scuttle??

usual place.

or a full length scutle..

or what??

I have some surface rust at the bottom of the windscreen on the scuttle panel and also in the usual places (under the headlights and down onto the panel below)...

It all looks surface, BUT I'll not know until the guy doing the job starts rubbing it down...:disapprove:

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Definitely take the windscreen out - this rust is caused by water getting between the layers of metal under the seal - I tried just fixing it where visible but it just comes back worse.
    Taking the windscreen out is fairly simple. As Brian says take out the chrome seal and push it out (I use my hands rather than feet!) - it feels a bit scary but I've not broken one yet. I tried to fit my new windscreen myself after a full scuttle replacement a couple of years back but could not get it to sit right so took it to the professionals who fitted it in no bother - make sure they use loads of sealer to avoid it rusting again!
    As to what you will find when you take it out I will spare you my horror stories
    enought to say there are 3 layers of metal that join there - scuttle, bulkhead and dash top rail - lots of crunchy fun
    Once fixed squirt lots of rust proofer(like waxoyl)up into the area from inside the engine bay to prevent future rust.
    Let us know how you get on.

Car
    will do duncan - thanks for the info