Jet Washing Engine Bay

macblob
    Under my bonnet is mingin these days as it has pretty much never been cleaned.
    Is it ok to use a Jet wash lance to clean under there , or would I need to cover the battery etc, to avoid to much water getting in at any electrical bits and bobs?

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Ta Brian

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Brian,
    Used to do it when i was a mechanic and it caused nowt but grief, the plug leads, what looks like a coil, the battery and any electrical wires would all need to be wrapped up. Even then condensation is a nightmare.

I would advise not to use a power washer, if you must use something then a decent de-greaser on a rag and wipe it all down :)

Bonnie Scotland

Wul
    Brian - i'm with BS on this one - don't use a jetwash at all.

I did mines last year with some degreaser and a watering can after bagging all the important bits - try here http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=4 for more tips.

Care and patience are the order of the day - don't use too much so that it causes more problems ie squealing belts; damp electrics etc. A decent degreaser, an old tooh brush and a bag of rags should see you ok

macblob
    Cheers guys , I cleaned some of it today while doing the rest of the car with a sponge and soapy water , just to get the most manky bits cleaner , but was careful to stay away from the electrics. Thanks for the advice

Just had a wee thought, ive seen various waterless valet places, think they use a kind of steam cleaner, would this incure the same probs as using water?

Wul
    brian - imho yes as soon as the steam hits a cold surface it would condese to water anyway - also wouldn't like to think what it would do to plastic bits etc!

Car
    Mini Cooper
    I usually give the underbonnet area a wash while doing the rest of the car - hot water with car wash, hose down with normal water hose - not given me any problems.

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Just out of curiosity...what do the dealers do? Second hand cars engine bays are always spotless. Do they just jetwash 'em and leave 'em for a while? I can't believe they would take the time to resort to rags on every car.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Naw Colin, they steam clean, then spray them with some kind of lacquer which looks nice and shiney but goes all sticky and all the crap of the day sticks to EVERYTHING!!! You can never get your engine bay clean ever again :mad: (I know all this because it happened to me :evil:)
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    <gasps> Gordy SSSSSHHHHHHHHHH! I didn't want the people on here knowing my real name!! They might never have guessed!

Mini Martyn
    If you want it clean take it apart and rebuilt it??!!