Play Mini exhaust - where to buy & fit?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Missed this one! I got my manifold and system direct from Playmini (sales@playmini2.co.uk). They're very helpful. Bill & I fitted the system ourselves in about an hour and a half with the help of some ramps and a trolley jack (to support the systems on the way in and out). The Manifold was put on at a local garage, as you really need to get the car up on a lift or over an inspection pit for access. The manifold goes on from underneath - as I explained to the mechanic after he thought he'd have to dismantle half the enging bay to fit it(!).

You will have to "modify" (ie batter) the HEAT SHIELD over the manifold, as the Playmini is wider at the top than the standard manifold. I folded the outer "wings" back in on themselves with the aid of a hammer and abit of wood (to cushion the blows!).

As you've heard, it all works a treat - but be prepared to lose your "Stealth Mode" and give folks heart attacks when you overtake. Still, people don't step off pavements in front of you. Hope you get it sorted. Do I get a commission from Playmini?

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN

Missed this one! I got my manifold and system direct from Playmini (sales@playmini2.co.uk). They're very helpful. Bill & I fitted the system ourselves in about an hour and a half with the help of some ramps and a trolley jack (to support the systems on the way in and out). The Manifold was put on at a local garage, as you really need to get the car up on a lift or over an inspection pit for access. The manifold goes on from underneath - as I explained to the mechanic after he thought he'd have to dismantle half the enging bay to fit it(!).

You will have to "modify" (ie batter) the HEAT SHIELD over the manifold, as the Playmini is wider at the top than the standard manifold. I folded the outer "wings" back in on themselves with the aid of a hammer and abit of wood (to cushion the blows!).

As you've heard, it all works a treat - but be prepared to lose your "Stealth Mode" and give folks heart attacks when you overtake. Still, people don't step off pavements in front of you. Hope you get it sorted. Do I get a commission from Playmini?
    Euan,

Is you mini a pre facelift mini? It may be the case that you don't need to do anything with the manifold on the post facelift Mini's. I've also sent them an email asking if there's any issues with mine being an Automatic tranny.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Mine is a 'December 2003' built model.

Not sure if the Heatshield or the O.E. Manifold would have been altered in the facelift - but I don't know. I found the shield a wee bit tricky to bolt back on (garage left it off as they didn't want to bash it around). Playmini "modified" the shield on their car as above. Am I right in thinking that the hangers for the exhaust are different Post-Facelift? Can't remember the thread about this. Check with Playmini Re. Autobox, but should think if the standard system clears it, the Playmini would be OK. As Martin mentioned, can't vouch for 2nd Hand Manifold (which has Sports Cat on the end as part of Manifold), mine has been on for about a year or so and is fine - so unless it has been obviously abused it should be OK. Cat's the main thing to check I would think. How you can do that, I'm not sure....

How do you feel about being MUCH noisier? I love it 99% of the time, but it does attract attention. You will find yourself going out of your way to drive through underpasses flat out in second - boy does it sound serious. M8 at Charing Cross in Glasgow is a good one. Me, grow up? Not if I can help it!!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    Euan, I was in Menzies today and I asked Ian about the Auto vs Manual issue. He asked a tech and they are 99% sure it is the same, but they are going to check the part numbers for OEM exhaust on Monday. That will confirm it one way or the other... I have to say, we've had some fantastic service from Menzies lately.

The manifold which is up for grabs has been on a test car for the engine enhancement we put on our car and I know for sure that it has been absolutely hammered. So I'm not going to go there, just in case that cat is fubar'd. But it looks like Play Mini may have something on offer anyway. Will keep you posted.

Like we said in posts after Comber's Xmas Meat-up run in December - the Play Mini is to all intents and purposes a safety device; if they hear you coming from further away, they have more time to get oot your way! Love the underpass-flat out in second-idea. <makes mental note to try once installed>

saraandcraig
    quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

I know T6 KFR already has a thread on this but Kev's based in Aberdeen and he already had his exhaust. So sorry if I'm doubling up on some questions.

We're thinking of putting a full Play Mini exhaust system on our Cooper S. The manifold, cat and back box. Just love the sound of Elfman's motor.

Does anyone know where the Playmini exhaust can be bought locally (central belt/Borders)? If it can't be bought locally, where's the best place online? I saw in a couple of other threads Essentialmini being mentioned, but their web site makes no reference to Play Mini's exhaust. Once I get it, where's the best place to fit it?

I've also been offered a 2004 Play Mini manifold from a Cooper S wich has been fairly well hammered for about a year. What's the chances this manifold will pack in/blow out on me quicker than a brand spanking new one? Do they rot/wear out/disintegrate over time? Can you tell I know diddly squat about cars?:I

Any help appreciated.
    give sara a text when you get the exhaust if you bring it over to jed one night/weekend i will stick it up on the ramp and fit it for you while you wait or i can pickit up/drop it off if you want ,£10 cheap as chips:)

Car
    quote:Originally posted by saraandcraig

give sara a text when you get the exhaust if you bring it over to jed one night/weekend i will stick it up on the ramp and fit it for you while you wait or i can pickit up/drop it off if you want ,£10 cheap as chips:)
    Very kind offer.

Hoping to order on Monday. So I'll give you a shout when it comes in and we can sort out the details then.

Cheers Mate.

Car
    Just had a very dissapointing telephone conversation with Play Mini.:mad::mad:

Spoke with Simon at essential who was very helpful and informative and very honest. Simply put, he has never fitted a PlayMini manifold to a Cooper S. He has only fitted the back box section. His suggestion was to call PlayMini and arrange purchase through them direct as it would end up being a better price. Very honest of the guy to do this. For the record - Simon at Essential is an all round nice guy!

The other side of the coin:
    I then spoke to Andy at Playmini, who I had been emailing with earlier last week, discussing prices and availability. Because we have an Automatic Cooper S they were non-committal on whether the manifold will fit our car or not. As such they would insist that if we bought the manifold and it didn't fit they would charge a 25% restocking fee! That's £200 give or take. I told them I was more than prepared to pay for shipping to me, then if it does not fit, pay for shipping back to them, with the manifold in an unused condition in it's original packing. This was unacceptable to them. I then pointed out that the 25% restocking was actually against the law under the Distance Selling Regulations. At which point Andy became obtuse and obnoxious and simply said "Sorry, we're out of stock of that item". When I asked what that means when I have an email from him last week stating they have plenty in stock, he said "Well, if you're going to take that attitude I'm not interested in selling to you." I said "Look, I just want to buy an exhaust from you." Andy said "Nope. We're out of stock of that item. Go buy it elsewhere." I said: "OK. Clearly I'm not going to get anywhere on this, but I can assure you everyone on Newminiscotland.co.uk will hear of your customer service skills." As I was hanging up I clearly heard him saying "I don't care!"

To say I am very p*ssed is an understatement. I've loved the sound of the Playmini exhaust for ages and I was really looking forward to putting it on my car, but this sort of service from the manufacturer is inexcusable. One thing's for sure I will never buy anything from PlayMini - direct.:disapprove::mad::disapprove::mad:

Still want that exhaust though.:I

A

Wul
    That sucks Andy!:( That would be profiteering in many other industries!! a certain level of re-stocking charge would be acceptable - but not that much!!

Car
    quote:Originally posted by Wul

That sucks Andy!:( That would be profiteering in many other industries!! a certain level of re-stocking charge would be acceptable - but not that much!!
    Thanks for the sentiment Wul. I'm still startled at their attitude. Don't know what to do now.:question::disapprove::mad::question:

Playmini have never liked selling direct to the public, hence their website having no prices, they would rather sell through a distributer network - such as Simon at essential.