Play Mini exhaust - where to buy & fit?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    I know T6 KFR already has a thread on this but Kev's based in Aberdeen and he already had his exhaust. So sorry if I'm doubling up on some questions.

We're thinking of putting a full Play Mini exhaust system on our Cooper S. The manifold, cat and back box. Just love the sound of Elfman's motor.

Does anyone know where the Playmini exhaust can be bought locally (central belt/Borders)? If it can't be bought locally, where's the best place online? I saw in a couple of other threads Essentialmini being mentioned, but their web site makes no reference to Play Mini's exhaust. Once I get it, where's the best place to fit it?

I've also been offered a 2004 Play Mini manifold from a Cooper S wich has been fairly well hammered for about a year. What's the chances this manifold will pack in/blow out on me quicker than a brand spanking new one? Do they rot/wear out/disintegrate over time? Can you tell I know diddly squat about cars?:I

Any help appreciated.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Si at Essential only seems to have the Cooper and One Playmini exhausts listed on his site - but I am sure if you contact him he will do you a deal on the S version. As for fitting its a fairly easy diy job (the manifold is slightly more difficult if you are going that far) or any back street garage should be able to install it for very little money.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Andy,

you could buy from playmini direct (www.playmini2.co.uk)

My local garage has been doing work on our cars for approx 16 years and I have no complaints.. They're work is top notch. Let me know if you want their number and they can give you an estimate for the job...

GAJ
    What Martin said! I planned to fit mine myself but a couple of the bolts were rusted solid and I couldn't free them in the confined space I had to work in; my local garage fitted it for £20. The mechanic commented on how well made it was and how good it sounded.:)

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    quote:Originally posted by GAJ

What Martin said! I planned to fit mine myself but a couple of the bolts were rusted solid and I couldn't free them in the confined space I had to work in; my local garage fitted it for £20. The mechanic commented on how well made it was and how good it sounded.:)
    I had the same problem gettng the P/M OFF the old car...
    Trip to Autosave, £8 in the till, me off home with a nut splitter (ow!:blackeye:) Job done in half an hour!

It was on the other car for 2 years, sat in my dad's shed for 6 months, now it's on the new car, still shiny and sounding great!

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Thanks for the input everyone!

Wouldn't dream of fitting it myself. I know where my skills begin and end and when it comes to engines it just about stretches to topping up the oil.

I've emailed Play Mini to get a price.

L & L, interested in that fact your exhaust has moved cars, after two years of use. Do you know if there was any signs of severe wear and tear? Is it likely the manifold I've been offered will still last for ages? Or is this like asking how long a piece of string is???

Craig, I'll give you a shout if I need that garage number. Gladly travel up there to have it done at a reputable garage than find my own one down here. If I go for the manifold I've been offered, I'll just get that outfit to fit it, they are fine - I know from experience.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    quote:[i]

L & L, interested in that fact your exhaust has moved cars, after two years of use. Do you know if there was any signs of severe wear and tear? Is it likely the manifold I've been offered will still last for ages? Or is this like asking how long a piece of string is???
    The whole pipe is Stainless steel, so it's still all solid. I thnk the worst of the (surface) corrosion on the pipe only came about whilst the exhaust was sitting in a cold damp shed for 6 months. Keep meaning to get under the car and ceck to see if being back on the car has made any difference to it. It's still totally solid, but I might have to replace the 'U' clamp (not S/S) holding the two pipes together sometime within the next year or so..

Generally a stainless exhaust should last for about the life of the car if it's looked after

I had one of their big bore stainless exhausts on my old classic Cooper for 5 years, it was still shining like new when I sold the car. Saw it almost a year later, the guy who bought the car had kept it on (I only know that cos i met him at a show down South and we had a bit of a chat), and it was still nice 'n shiny! Quality kit!

Car
    quote:
    Does anyone know where the Playmini exhaust can be bought locally (central belt/Borders)? If it can't be bought locally, where's the best place online? I saw in a couple of other threads Essentialmini being mentioned, but their web site makes no reference to Play Mini's exhaust. Once I get it, where's the best place to fit it?

I've also been offered a 2004 Play Mini manifold from a Cooper S wich has been fairly well hammered for about a year. What's the chances this manifold will pack in/blow out on me quicker than a brand spanking new one? Do they rot/wear out/disintegrate over time? Can you tell I know diddly squat about cars?:I
    Any help appreciated.
    I got my original classic Cooper one direct mail order from Playmini, just gave them a call
    Dunno about anyone to fit it for you tho.. you're a bit out of my local area!

Is the manifold Stainless steel too? if so it should last a LOT longer than a normal mild steel one.
    Is the catalytic converter part of the manifold? I can't remember off the top of my head.. if it is, I'd be more concerned about the internals of the Cat if it's been hammered for a year. if not, there shouldn't be much of a problem with the manifold.. if you get the chance, try to check it out before you buy it

The cat is included in the bottom branch of the manifold - as LnL says I would be worried how this has been treated. Some aftermarket manifolds allow the cat to be removed and replaced seperatly, but not all of them do.

Si is an official playmini dealer and I am sure he will get you a good price if you mention NMS

T6 KFR
    quote:AndyP & Lenore Posted - 02 Feb 2006 : 00:45:13
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know T6 KFR already has a thread on this but Kev's based in Aberdeen and he already had his exhaust. So sorry if I'm doubling up on some questions.

We're thinking of putting a full Play Mini exhaust system on our Cooper S. The manifold, cat and back box. Just love the sound of Elfman's motor.

I've also been offered a 2004 Play Mini manifold from a Cooper S wich has been fairly well hammered for about a year. What's the chances this manifold will pack in/blow out on me quicker than a brand spanking new one? Do they rot/wear out/disintegrate over time? Can you tell I know diddly squat about cars?

Any help appreciated.
    I went to my local tyre fitter...Laws Tyres only 30 quid.

As for supplier - http://www.minisport.com/

cant fault them.