I just found out...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    that Great Southern Road is a 30 limit, despite the fact I can't see anywhere that says it from the route out of my flat to work. It's a dual carriageway!!! How can it be a 30??? I thought it was a 40! Think the mobile safety unit willbe helping me find out the hard way! 6:35 in the morning for heavens sake!!! I was the only car on the road AND I never even knew I might have been speeding until I done an internet check this morning! :(:disapprove::(:disapprove::(

Quote from page 11 of this document from the department of transport.

"The 30mph speed limit is predominately used in urban areas (and more recently in villages) and usually is indicated by the presence of a system of streetlights. The presence of street lights is the way we recognise this speed limit and it is the reason we do not see, apart from where the limit starts, 30 mph speed signs. Some believe this to be an odd way of indicating a speed limit, but really it is simple. If there are streetlights and no signs to the contrary a 30 MPH speed limit is in force.

There are a number of unlit roads where a 30 MPH speed limit applies. In these circumstances the traffic authority must place 30 mph repeater signs."

Awww well that's really fekin' helpful NOW aint it?!?!?!? <leans on the newly closed stable door and watches the horse run free around the meadow> Pfff! :(

Anywho...from the same page:

"There is sometimes some confusion as to what a dual carriageway is,
    especially for those vehicles restricted to speed limits below that for cars, such as HGVs and Coaches. In short, a dual carriageway is a road that is separated by a central reservation.A central reservation is anything other than a pedestrian refuge that separates vehicles going in one direction from vehicles going in the other direction. It should be noted that although it is more usual to have two or more lanes in each direction, the number of lanes is not specified, i.e. it is the presence of a central reservation rather than the number of
    lanes that determines whether or not a road is a dual carriageway."

There is a central reservation there! Isn't there?

The Dogfather
    How fast were you going?

Anyway it would have been dark so I doubt they could read your front plate <awaits correction!>

By the way. Can anyone tell me what "Penalty points last for 3 years but stay on your licence for 4" means? Does that mean that they don't affect your insurance anymore but are still on record:question:

Well as Mart so kindly pointed out the road has streetlights! :( I think I might have been doing a fraction over 40 (maybe 42) but I'm not sure. I had just pulled out and had to get the toe down to avoid being thwapped by a Saab that came round the roundabout on two wheels! Of course HE spotted the ruddy van! :(:disapprove:

Wul
    Hmmm - not good Col - were they defo a speed camera van or perhaps the Road Tax checker?

Well it had "Mobile Safety Unit" written on the front of it so unless they make expired tax discs explode on they day they expire I think I'm Donald Ducked. :(

The Dogfather
    I reckon you'll be ok, I drove past one the other day @ 38 mph but never got done. It was still dark and it was street lit.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    quote:Originally posted by Big Col
    By the way. Can anyone tell me what "Penalty points last for 3 years but stay on your licence for 4" means? Does that mean that they don't affect your insurance anymore but are still on record:question:
    what it means Col is that your points "count" in the eyes of the court and insurance for 3 years, however if you re-offend in the 4th year, your points stay on your licence...:(:( I've been caught by this in the very distant past, but the law may have changed. I'd need to check..

As BDM said, if it was in the dark and it was a camera van, highly unlikely that they would get your number plate with the glare off your headlights..