Works S Tuning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Sounds sensible. I have to admit I'm as guilty as the next person - I have to stop and remind myself every so often of what I said earlier! This is from the guy who's had (amongst many others) a Mini '1000 HLE' with a Lightened, Balanced, Big Valve head & 285 Cam 95+BHP 1275 and a 180BHP (L.A.D./ECOSSE) 106 GTI... I was perectly happy for over two years with my 2001 COOPER (although I added a Magnex system) and sincerely promised everybody in 2003 that I “Wasn't going to do ANYTHING” to the 'S'. Maybe we should set up "Tuners Anonymous"! Plus the fact I could buy a cracking wee "Classic" Mini for the money I'd spend on tuning the big one.

Speaking of traction/wheelspin - the other day on the way to work, I pulled out (traction control off) to overtake a (much) slower car and basically just wheelspun all the way past it in 2nd and well into 3rd as the road was so greasy - must have scared the crap out of the other car, I felt like going back to apologise. Sounded good though, and the car pulled nice and straight.

It's always tempting to go for a higher state of tune, there's so much stuf available. My fave 'Pipe Dream' is either the 'MED/PROTEK' 240+ish BHP (Big Valve Head, Cam, Pulley, Induction, Intercooler etc etc) conversion, or the 'West Tune' (based at Thruxton circuit) 245BHP upgrade (same sort of mods). Both are meant to be excellent and I'd also save a bit as I already have the Manifold & System. I've managed not to do it for the above reasons...so far.

However, I would recommend a good Manifold (Playmini, Milltek etc) for your Works. It would let all that good gear 'up front' breathe properly, and it sounds the business... Go on, you know you want to... DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! (Runs cackling with evil laughter into the distance).

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Nick
    hmmmmmmmm myabe this remap is not what i am looking for then. I dont think the power low down in the rev range is bad at all on the S Works id actually like more further up the rev range!!!

My friend recently got his 330cd chipped (250bhp, 380 Ibft torque) accleration was identical to my works S.....

If the remap is only going to give me more power lower down its not really what i want. Although fine for everyday driveability.....

The map can be tuned to your requirements - so power delivery comes in where you want. The rally car is running a fully tailored map and if you speak to Simon he can get one to meet your requirements too.

Ill take you for a spin in my car when I get back from Saudi Nick, see what you think

Nick
    Martin sounds like a plan to me.....

ok not sure when it will be - but ill be in touch

Nick
    ok thats cool........i wasnt sure what mods you had done to your car....i was under the impression it was just a cooper s with a big exhaust!

Driven behind u a couple of times though........sounds good..