Group buys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Some clarification would be appreciated here Calum...

We were thinking of organising a group buy (probably with our local dealer), for "something" in the new year. Not saying yet what, 'cos I don't want to get folk all interested and excited, just to let them down.

But after seeing Kinghorn has been made to remove the group buy for the wheel arches, I'm a little apprehensive. Is it the case that members of the forum can only organise group buys with commercial sponsors of the site? Or can group buys be organised by "sponsor" members in conjunction with third-party commercial organisations who are not site sponsors?

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    Sleepy organised a group buy on MINI2 and posted it on here too,it was not removed

Sponsor
    quote:Originally posted by john

Sleepy organised a group buy on MINI2 and posted it on here too,it was not removed
    Your right John, I did!

Thats perhaps was slightly different as the site sponsors were free to quote for the parts. It just so happened that there was a breakdown in communication and the NMS mini sponsor missed out sadly!

However, I do agree with Aimee, andyP etc to a certain extent. On the other hand, the site sponsors have paid money to advertise on the site so other companies who advertise should have to do the same. Thats completely understandable.

However it was not a commercial body who were advertising the painted arches at a discounted rate. It was Kinghorn himself who had sourced this price. His affiliation with the supplier is irrelevant as he does not work there.

If one of the sponsors of the site was to offer a deal on arches, I for one would not be a part of it SIMPLY because of the logistics involved as they are generally not close to me.

So this rule has excluded all those members who do not wish to travel 100 miles+ to get their arches (or any other parts relating to any future group buys) modified.

I think there needs to be some modifications done elsewhere!

To sum up, I totaly support the rules of NMS but feel there is a point where the rules get in the way of community spirit, which is hardly good for a website whos success depends on that very factor.

The Dogfather
    I agree SR, Kinghorn was sourcing a cut price deal based on our requests, very different from posting adverts :(

Monsta Mo Mini
    The rules are simple.

Commercial posting is not allowed unless you are commercial sponsor.

Same goes for group buys. Group buys are only available through NMS commercial sponsors. Menzies, Essential MIni, Lohen and Apex Signs.

There is very little to be gained in becoming a commercial sponsor if folk are being directed to other companies/friends/family etc. by individuals who contribute nothing to long term future of the site. It's the generosity of our sponsors, be they individuals or companies that keep the site going.

Hope this has made things clear enough!

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Thanks for the clarification on that Calum.

Andrew

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Sponsor
    Well the solution is, lets persuade a certain aberdeen body shop to get on board and become a sponsor! Then everyone wins!

The Dogfather
    Or

Use MINI2 to host the group buy its not Kinghorn's business so its not like he's advertising, just post a link to the thread on here. This would be no different than someone posting a link to another group buy, like Sleepy did, or to another non sponsor site like Mikey the MINIs.

So there is nothing to stop us organising a group buy from any company.

As long as we don't post the information on this site????
    Cooper Coupe...

Sponsor
    quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Or

Use MINI2 to host the group buy .... just post a link to the thread on here. .... like Sleepy did
    BD, I typed into a post that we could host on MINI2. However I wanted to be seen as a NMS supporter and opted towards a more 'pro NMS' method, i.e getting 'the supplier' on board as a supplier.

I had linked to the MINI2 group buy because some people from NMS were interested at the time. Also, Menzies (at the time) were the dealer for the group buy :)

You have to appreciate that menzies/lohen etc have paid money to be represented on the site and to advertise. In the same breath 'the dealer' did not advertise on NMS and rater it was demand which started the group buy in the first place.