World Cup Draw

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The Dogfather
    quote:Originally posted by duncan

I agree with you BD, it is a shame.

The media have thier own agenda, and there's many reasons for their currnet utterings.
    Like selling papers.........

Still there's nothing like a good English v Scotland football debate

:clown:

euan
    quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

quote:Originally posted by duncan
    If you can't get that right,we can't take you serious about England winning, can we
    Maybe you're right but the T&T Fifa website says otherwise Link

I don't watch Scottish Football and the only reason I knew about Jason Scotland was I thought it was ironic that someone called Scotland couldn't get a work permit here.
    quote:

And as for English National Pride, thats great, i'm glad you lot have grasped the concept that the Union Flag isn't an English one.
    I think you'll find that until recently most English people who have described themselves as British, I know I did, and would have supported any of the home nations in the world cup.

However, the English press have picked up on the resentment and dare I say hatred from the Scots towards the English. I think there's been a bit of a backlash against the Scots down South and thats a real shame :(

It seems that being 'British' is on the way out, I think that is a great loss.
    As a Scot living down south, I would like to say I don't hate nor resent the English.

The news and sports coverage does annoy me a lot, as I don't get to see ANY scottish football news without using Teletext, and to watch the Scotland games I need to go to an Aberdeen supporters club bar (not that bad, always good atmosphere, but it's an hour on the tube).

As for supporting England in sport, I don't mind them doing well, I won't go out of my way to watch it, nor to avoid it, it's just that I can't live with the press coverage of it. Football is the worst, although the rugby was bad for a while after they won it. I personallt feel that it's the press that wind me up about it more, always going on about 1966 (it's a LONG time ago now, yes you won it, time to move on) and the like. Ian Wright sums it up to me, sulking after the Ireland game when, as a so called professional, he should have been congratulating the home nation on their win.

The Dogfather
    quote:Originally posted by euan
    As a Scot living down south, I would like to say I don't hate nor resent the English.
    Nice to hear you say that but my experience as an Englishman in Scotland is very different. I've had quite a lot of abuse from your fellow Scots, I've even had a couple of 'Your English so' comments from people on this site. Replace the English with Black, Catholic or Pakistani and the comments soon become very offensive, but what's the real difference:question: None if you ask me. Now I can take a bit of banter but sometimes it goes too far.

quote:
    The news and sports coverage does annoy me a lot, as I don't get to see ANY scottish football news without using Teletext, and to watch the Scotland games I need to go to an Aberdeen supporters club bar (not that bad, always good atmosphere, but it's an hour on the tube).
    Quite right but the papers up here don't carry much on English Football either, usually just a couple of paragraphs at most. Your lucky, can't imagine having a 'England Supporters Bar' up here, can you :question:
    quote:
    As for supporting England in sport, I don't mind them doing well, I won't go out of my way to watch it, nor to avoid it, it's just that I can't live with the press coverage of it. Football is the worst, although the rugby was bad for a while after they won it. I personallt feel that it's the press that wind me up about it more, always going on about 1966 (it's a LONG time ago now, yes you won it, time to move on) and the like.
    Archie Gemmill anyone, one bloody goal, not even a cup win and it's still replayed or how about any of the wins over England especially 1967.
    quote:
    Ian Wright sums it up to me, sulking after the Ireland game when, as a so called professional, he should have been congratulating the home nation on their win.
    I'm with you on that one, I doubt he'll be on BBC for a while after that display.

I'm sorry but I just cannot support any "England" team in any sport they compete in. I just can't.

I hate them hate them with a vengance.:blackeye:

Maybe that makes me a bad person :I

Allan is a plastic jock and he is of the same mind as me.

Another thing maybe I shouldn't say this but my god a lot of the English supporters dinnae half get right up my nose.

When not if England get put out of the worl cup the roof will be raised in my house.

I am only talking about sport and not Englich people I love them must do married 1/2 of one
    Cooper Coupe...

The Dogfather
    quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I'm sorry but I just cannot support any "England" team in any sport they compete in. I just can't.

I hate them hate them with a vengance.:blackeye:

Maybe that makes me a bad person :I

Allan is a plastic jock and he is of the same mind as me.

Another thing maybe I shouldn't say this but my god a lot of the English supporters dinnae half get right up my nose.

When not if England get put out of the worl cup the roof will be raised in my house.

I am only talking about sport and not Englich people I love them must do married 1/2 of one
    Yes you are a bad person

At least your honest Plastic Jock:question: I've heard of a plastic Scouser (someone from Southport) never a plastic Jock.

BTW which half is English:question:

Paul not sure which part of him is English but half his family are from dovecote Liverpool. He supports liverpool by the way.
    Cooper Coupe...

duncan
    quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

quote:Originally posted by euan
    Quite right but the papers up here don't carry much on English Football either, usually just a couple of paragraphs at most. Your lucky, can't imagine having a 'England Supporters Bar' up here, can you :question:
    You're obviously reading the wrong papers, as several carry decent reports in the Monday pull out section.
    Plus, Match of the Day is shown in Scotland, so you can get the highlights from the National Broadcaster.
    Throw in Extensive FA cup coverage, even the minnows occasionally get live coverage, and English gets better coverage in Scotland than Scottish football does on TV.

quote:
    quote:
    As for supporting England in sport, I don't mind them doing well, I won't go out of my way to watch it, nor to avoid it, it's just that I can't live with the press coverage of it. Football is the worst, although the rugby was bad for a while after they won it. I personallt feel that it's the press that wind me up about it more, always going on about 1966 (it's a LONG time ago now, yes you won it, time to move on) and the like.
    Archie Gemmill anyone, one bloody goal, not even a cup win and it's still replayed or how about any of the wins over England especially 1967.
    Yep, again, that'll be shown in Scotland only, while 1966 gets UK wide airtime.

quote:
    quote:
    Ian Wright sums it up to me, sulking after the Ireland game when, as a so called professional, he should have been congratulating the home nation on their win.
    I'm with you on that one, I doubt he'll be on BBC for a while after that display.
    Very much doubt it. He's got his own gameshow, and no doubt under contract to the BBC for a while.

The Dogfather
    quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

He supports liverpool by the way.
    I've always liked him

The Dogfather
    I've stopped buying Sunday papers and use the web instead. I think the Telegraph doesn't print a Scottish version so I used to buy that as it also thats what the Fantasy Football League uses.

I never buy papers during the week as we get them at work.

My Dad complains bitterly that his paper of choice the Mail on Sunday :I doesn't do English sport whenever he comes up.....

Anyway I agree the media is biased but it's not just Scotland it's anywhere North of Luton :evil:that's ignored. Not sure I agree with you about Scottish football coverage though, I think that's more down to contracts than bias.

I will say one thing about 1966, England makes up 84% of the total population of the UK, and the BBC is a national broadcaster so I'm not surprised they mention it a lot considering it is the largest achievement by any UK football nation.

:I

The Dogfather
    I doubt you'll see Ian Wr(Sh)ight as a football pundit again, or at least I hope so