Rally Speak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Ok, with a wee bit of embarrassment :I but in order to help me julie's son [s]me[/s] there will be a PS2 racing seat getting opened on x-mas day complete with the Logitec GeForce Pro steering wheel
    The game getting played will be Colin McRae 2005
    Now the question, although i have a fair idea of the rally speak whilst driving 8) can anyone point me in the general direction of fully understanding what it all means :question:
    What i mean is, the pace notes given by the co-driver:-
    Caution over hill, right 5
    left 2 and tight right 4 etc etc

This will ensure [s]I[/s] wee jase can get it right and know what he's [s]I am[/s] doing

GAJ
    I think each driver has their own preference and there are no hard and fast rules.

When it comes to the Colin McRae game, the system they use is pretty simple, the corners are graded 1 to, I think, 5, with 1 being a gentle flat out bend and 5 being a hairpin. I don't think they give distances to the corner or hazard in that game but I could be wrong, I've not played it for years!

It's pretty straightforward, I'm sure [s]you[/s] Jason will pick it up quickly enough!!

Wul
    I know it goes against the Male Grain - but have you tried the instruction manual? :clown:

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by Wul
    I know it goes against the Male Grain - but have you tried the instruction manual? :clown:
    What :I i was asking generally as well 8) of course i'll read the manual, but, i was curious, having read Redpoint's last rally, how he communicates with his co-driver

Cooper_si
    Martin sent me this a few weeks back....

RALLY GLOSSARY

RALLY - There is never a RACE at a rally. It is a RALLY. Nothing else. When racing, they go round and round until they fall asleep from boredom or crash into each other on a perfectly good bit of smooth tarmac that they know like the back of their hands.

SPECIAL STAGE
    - There are no 'tracks' or laps to be done on them. A special stage starts at one place and finishes somewhere else.

SERVICE AREA -There are no PITS!

SERVICE CREW - Thats you lot, that is! You are not Pit Crew. You are better than that!

PACE NOTES - The things Big Al shouts to me because we have a crap intercom. They make me drive really fast sometimes....sometimes just referred to as 'notes.'

RECCE
    - Sometimes the rally organisers allow the rally car crew to recce the stages either to make their own pace notes or check the ones provided.

SCRUTINEERING - An official check of the car for mechanical / safety / regulatory compliance.

NOISE TEST
    - An official test to ensure the rally car is not too loud for competition.

SIGNING ON - Documents re indemnities and insurance to be signed by the rally car crew prior to competing.

GRAVEL / ICE NOTE CREW - Sometimes also referred to a safety crew. On International rallies, it is a non competing pseudo rally car with a driver / co-driver who are allowed to run through the stage prior to it going 'live' to check the 'notes.'

ZERO CAR or COURSE CAR - A fully crewed rally car carrying the number '0', or '00' or '000' depending on how many zero cars there are. This car is a non competing car that drives at competitive speed through each stage prior to the competing cars to make sure it is ok. It is the organisers final check.

SAFETY CAR
    - A non rally car driven by the organisers (Clerk of the course, who is the boss of the event, or Stage Commander who is the boss of that particular stage )which runs through each stage to check it. If all ok, the stage is then 'live.' The zero car comes next.

CLOSING CAR - Similar to the above and is driven after the last rally car to 'close' the stage.

MANAGEMENT CAR
    - Used to be called 'chase cars'. A saloon car with a mechanically adept driver and 'co-driver' who, as the regulations of the rally a 'shadow' the rally car carrying basic tools and spares. Not all rallies allow them and their use and route is to be strictly as per the organisers rules. Carries the same number as the rally car.

SERVICE VAN or BARGE - In our case a Practical Hire van! Sometimes the organisers will restrict its route and number. Carries the same number as the rally car.

MULTI VENUE RALLY - What you know as a rally. ie special stages with connecting Road Sections which takes the rally over a wide area.

ROAD SECTION - On a 'multi venue' rally, this is the road section between Special Stages and is timed for the rally car. If allowed, the management car can service the rally car on road sections.

SINGLE VENUE RALLY - A rally confined to one area with no Road Sections. Will always have Central Servicing.

CENTRAL SERVICE - You set up and dont move. The rally car always comes to you for the entire event.

MARSHALLS - Unpaid volunteers who stand about all day in the rotten weather manning controls while the rally car crew enjoy their day. Brilliant people!

OTL - 'Over the Time Limit' - The rally car has to book into time controls at a specific time. Book in early and you get a time penalty. Book in late and you also get a time penalty. If the event rules state you are only allowed to be a total of 15 mins 'lateness' for the whole rally and you accumulate more than this, then you go 'OTL' and are out of the rally. It can also be used up if you need to 'buy time' for a longer service. Only done in extreme circumstances for instance to try to keep

broken_brian
    quote:[i]Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland What :I i was asking generally as well 8) of course i'll read the manual, but, i was curious, having read Redpoint's last rally, how he communicates with his co-driver
    By useing these or somthing similar (cheaper)
    www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=INTPROCARBON-L

As for pace notes they are the same through all rallying that everyone uses, corners are numbered from 1 (flat out slight turn)to 9 (slow down very quickly and pull the handbrake close eyes and hope you make it

You can just about see the intercom in this pic of Mr Page through the windscreen

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Ok peeps, further clarification, i fully understand that some kind of communication must happen, ie the use of intercom etc.
    Brian got the answer i need in the basic form i needed.
    I was always uncertain to the mentioning of the numbers whether they meant a max speed, or, more caution through any particular bend.
    So, if i've got it right a 1 would signify flat out and 9, as Brian says, extreme caution, though i've never heard 9 used in any TV footage or game

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    lol. Methinks you're being mocked Mr. Mercer. :)

GAJ
    Did I not say that this morning?