Alloys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    euan
    was washing the car at the weekend and the alloys are a bit of a mess (OK, I'll put my hands up and say I'd not washed the car in a couple of weeks. But only if you read couple as 8 weeks....)

Anyway, one of the alloys has a black mark on it, what am I best doing to take it off? I was going to use the AutoGlym alloy cleaner I have but it was starting to rain so I had to stop.

Also, tips for getting into those hard to reach places on alloys?

I have these on my car

which are a nightmare to get into the middle of the spokes. They are too narrow (just) to get my fingers into.

Wul
    Hey euan - the best alloy cleaner i know is sonax - which is available from Vauxhall dealers - i'm currently using Muc-Off MTB cleaner which works relally well too - just be carefull with any cleaners not to leave them on too long.

the black mark sound like a tar spot - if the alloy cleaners doesn't work try a wee spot of scratch x if you got some - or a wee touch of white spirit.

As for getting between the spokes - try a paint brush after you've sprayed the cleaner on to agitate the dust off - a wee tip though - wrap the metal bit of the brush in tape first to prevent scratching the alloy.

once they are all clean and dry - a coat of wax will help make them easier to clean for the next wee while.

:)

euan
    Cheers Wul, will try that.

I usually do the wax thing but haven't yet on this car, will need to soon!

As an aside, how much is the Sonax stuff?

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    I think Halfrauds do a neat brush thingy for cleaning your alloys (well I think thats where I got it :I) It's the 'spaniels spuds' for getting into those thin opening I can tell you :approve:
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

euan
    Ah, nice - you mean a bit like

?

Will be popping down there to get me one of these! Cheers Big G!

Wul
    That's the thingy - but be careful you don't lose the rubber bit on the end exposing the nasty scratchy wire!!

euan
    I'll be sure to be careful with the rubber nipple

craigcooperSworks
    I used to use Wonder Wheels which was really good- and you get a free brush with it, Bargain!!

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Close but not quite the same as mine I don't need to worry about the nipple as I don't have one ON THE BRUSH YOU MUCKY LOT:evil: The one I have is shaped like a very narrow 'U' with both ends moulded into the handle :approve:
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

this is the brush I use no sharp edges or tips use them on my classic Alpina wheels on the 1-er
    Cooper Coupe...