JCW Sound Kit - The Review

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Well it has finally been fitted (last week - Thurs 22nd Sept) after my initial request in Jan of this year and the long wait for BMW/MINI to release it. I am told it is the only genuine BMW install in Scotland to date

This thread is to give everyone out there my take on the mod so that you have at least some idea of the kit before parting with you hard earned dosh. On the subject of dosh, the Kit fitted by my local dealer (Thanks Menzies - Top Job as usual) is £750. If you fancy the long trip to John Cooper Garages they are £715 (I believe).

The Kit consists of a JCW Exhaust, JCW Air Filter, ECU Remap, Metal (I think enamel) Badge for the back of the car, a small Engine cover and Plaque, plus your Certificate for the Garage Wall.

I have covered just over 200 miles since fitted and I am loving every mile. When around town (below 4,000rpm) you get a nice deep burble and the sound is very subtle. When you give it a bit of right foot and get it over the 4,000rpm on the open road, the air filter makes a noise very close to a V-Tec (IMO) and it sings!.

The throttle response is definately better, picking up from lower down and the car seems to pull all the way to the redline smoother and harder. I am defo going to be getting points soon (next years Argyll Run will be faster) The noise at motorway speeds is not intrusive as some people (BDM if I remember with one of his old exhausts) have complained that it is hard to live with. This is definately been engineered to make noise when you want it, and quieten down when you don't

If anyone out there would like a run in the car (I have 1 customer already ) to see how it differs from your own car and the noise it makes, let me know and you more than welcome to meet up for a shot.

If anybody wants any pictures, give me a couple of days 'til the monsoon goes away....

Any Questions?

Cheers

Craig

PS - time to go back out for another shot!!

Wul
    Craig - got any pics of the various bits and pieces they fitted?

Car
    I would do wul, but it's like a typhoon out there and the car hasn't been clean enough yet to get photos for the site Hope to get them on once the wind and rain stops..

minidriver#1
    i've always been a bit sceptical about the sound kit... because it adds no more than 3bhp to the power output of the car and thats not much for the money, but i guess the sound makes up for it.

The Dogfather
    Craig - It would be interesting to hear my car - aftermarket filter and modified S exhaust - next to yours to compare, Budget vs Pukka JCW. Maybe next time we're on a run together. Congrats on being the first in Scotland BTW.

I know what you mean about points, and your fuel economy will suffer as well as you'll be changing down gear to hear the exhaust/filter.

I've also noticed there's a better pull low down with my set up as well, perhaps the standard kit is a bit restrictive. The One Ball S exhaust only gets loud at around 90 (on a private road of course) but even then its nowhere near excessive unlike my old one.

Car
    R56 MCS
    quote:Originally posted by craigd
    (I have 1 customer already )
    OOOhhhh yes!

I know ther is plenty aftermarket stuff out there but nothing beats the real thing does it. I know you do pay over the odds for JCW stuff but there is just something good about the stuff.

Maybe get a wee trip in the car on Friday night.
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    More than welcome Fiona - we could do a comparison

I know what your saying BDM, I just said to myself that I was going to stick the right side of the warranty this time. Not that I had any problems with getting warranty stuff done on the last car, just that if there was a major problem with the car, sometimes car companies can be a bit hard on you if the car has been modified without approved parts..

Car
    Also told that it may aid the sale of my car in the very very very many years from now as it has JCW parts still covered by TLC and Warranty...

The Dogfather
    Craig - I'll be getting an aftermarket warranty with the LPG conversion to cover any parts which BMW won't repair if there's a problem.

Your spot on with the resale angle. I'm intending to run the current MINI into the ground so it won't be an issue for me. BTW my air filter cost me £19 and exhaust, which was free from SC, has cost £100 for fitting and then being modified a few months later so when I said budget I meant it