Petrol Prices

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Julz
    quote:Originally posted by Big Col
    Also since shopping trips only make up about 3% of my car use
    Do what I do!!! www.tesco.com

quote:Originally posted by duncan

Actually Super Unleaded isnt that much more expensive than it was in the mid 90's when it was at least 10p per litre more then normal.

To be honest, Fuel prices may be a lot higher, but other costs arent rising, infact some sectors prices are lowering, so although it may cost you more to get to the shops, It costs you less when you get there!
    well back in the 90's Super Unleaded price was 65.65ppl that was on 13/03/1999 + VAT so that would equal a pump price of 77.14ppl.

So that means in a period of 6 years the price has increased by 22.76ppl. So in every 50 litres fill it is costing you today more by £11.38.

Apart from the Highlands and by that I mean north of Inverness and the Islands the next most expensive place for petrol is the filling stations in Grangemouth right on the refinery doorstep and this has always been the case. I can however only speak for BP stations.

Well that kept me busy this morning going back to the 90's think I have a look at the 80's now.
    Cooper Coupe...

back on the 03/01/1991 the price of 4* (do you remember that) was 41.71pp. including vat which was 15.00% at that time.

Unleaded was 39.12ppl. including vat on the 03/01/1991.
    Cooper Coupe...

duncan
    Col, Petrol Prices are rising for many reasons, the insecurity of the oil fields in the Gulf being the main one, another Hurricane Katrina, plus the booming demand from Asian markets.
    The financial markets are clear on one thing, they don't like uncertainty, hence the price rises.

The duty on fuel is now, as a percentage, less than it was during the refinery blockades, when the main point was the great fuel rip off. You'll see the effects of these rises greater in the US where the duty is less.

The main point of the cost of oil is that it is now cheaper than it was in relative terms than it was in the 80's Source:- BBC News Online

With reference to your tinned tuna, despite the fact that its more costly to deliver the tuna to the store, and no doubt catch it in the first place, the RPI is such that it costs less in real terms than it did 15 years ago.

The same goes for other items, and is why the "Bra Wars" with China is particuarly important, as the supply of cheap clothing/goods is helping the prices stay low.

duncan
    quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

well back in the 90's Super Unleaded price was 65.65ppl that was on 13/03/1999 + VAT so that would equal a pump price of 77.14ppl.

So that means in a period of 6 years the price has increased by 22.76ppl. So in every 50 litres fill it is costing you today more by £11.38.

Apart from the Highlands and by that I mean north of Inverness and the Islands the next most expensive place for petrol is the filling stations in Grangemouth right on the refinery doorstep and this has always been the case. I can however only speak for BP stations.

Well that kept me busy this morning going back to the 90's think I have a look at the 80's now.

That would be based on how much its risen by now, compared with your earnings in the 90's. If you factor in how much you earn now, then the rise will be less in real terms.

aimee_s
    so why is it that Americans pay about 50cents per gallon and were £3?? im not tryin to stir up a great debate here, just asking :)

That would be based on how much its risen by now, compared with your earnings in the 90's. If you factor in how much you earn now, then the rise will be less in real terms.
    not really bothered but Duncan there is a lot more goes on with the price of fuel than you realise. Take today for instance over night the price of Unleaded has jumped up by 4.91ppl but we not passing that on stations. I could go on the explain a few other wee things but I better stop don't want to loose my job now do I.
    Cooper Coupe...

duncan

not really bothered but Duncan there is a lot more goes on with the price of fuel than you realise. Take today for instance over night the price of Unleaded has jumped up by 4.91ppl but we not passing that on stations. I could go on the explain a few other wee things but I better stop don't want to loose my job now do I.
    Of course there is lots going on behind the scenes that you'll have an insight into that no-one else will, and no-one is asking you to divulge either, job security is very important.

OK, so your not really bothered to work out the relative terms, and to be honest, i'm not either, however I know i don't earn the same as i did in 1999, and thats just annual pay awards. So i know that the 20ppl rise is offset my my pay rises in the last 6 years. To what amount, is the key question.

duncan
    quote:Originally posted by aimee_s

so why is it that Americans pay about 50cents per gallon and were £3?? im not tryin to stir up a great debate here, just asking :)
    Its slightly more than 50 cents now.
    Closer to $2.50 now.

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Hmmm...it seems my point has flew over a couple of heads. Of course I don't think that the cost of canned fish is in any way liked to the cost of petrol. I was saying exactly the opposite. I wasn't being obtuse I was being facetious and was trying to say that paying less for shopping doesn't make me feel any better about spiralling fuel costs as I don't think the reduction in one compensates for the increase in the other. I wasn't saying the facts in Duncan's post were incorrect. I was saying that one fact had no bearing on the other.