VIRUS WARNING!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Resident old yin.
    What's this virus please?

I've been fighting my PC at home for the last few days. Every time I was on the internet after a few minutes the machine would just give me a warning to say it was shutting down and would shut down after a minute or so. Got a message about "shutdown by WINDOWS NT\AUTHORITY" and then something to do with "remote procedure call"

I also got some other message telling me I had to uninstall then re-install Norton Anti-Virus, which I did and then realised it was probably a pretty stooooooooooopid thing to do.

Seems (finger-crossed) to be OK now after I switched on the "enable firewall" connection on the optins for connecting via dial up.

I didn't get an email from admin@nms BTW.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    KenL, yep, you have been infected with the MSblast worm, you also should not have uninstalled your software, there is an easy fix, you need to go to the Norton website at http://www.symantec.com and download the two files, 1) patch from microsoft and 2) the fixer tool.

You must have the current virus definitions dated 11/08/2003.

If you read the site carefully it explains how to apply the patch and update your definitions even though you still have the virus.
    Take your time and you'll be alright.

Bonnie Scotland

Resident old yin.
    Thanks for that.

I re-installed the software but my subscription is out of date. I got the software on the PC and once the free bit ran out I didn't re-register 'cause I'm a tight-ar*e !!!

How much does it cost do you know?

Resident old yin.
    We also got this email sent round work yesterday. I didn't read it at the time but it might be useful to others on here:

It says:

The worm appeared on the Internet on 11 August 2003. Warnings that the Windows vulnerabilities were being scanned for had been issued on 31 July 2003. The vulnerabilities were known about since 17 July 2003.

For information about the worm, what to do about it, and how to patch your Windows system refer to CERT Advisory 2003-20 at

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2003-20.html

and references therein.

If you have Internet connection at home, if you manage your
    own laptop, or indeed if you use an IT Support managed laptop, you might have a look at the CERT document on home network security at

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html

Linda M
    At least we weren't the only ones :clown:

By the way I've given up on all MAC discussions as I can't get my own way on that subject in this house :mad: But at least I got my own way with my JCW I think for that I can live without the really nice coloured cute MACs :clown:

Resident old yin.
    It's far more important to have a JCW S than a Mac Linda !!!

GAJ
    I'll swap if you like!