Hey Mr Broon

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    When i start ma car first thing i get constant oil pressure, around 5 bar, but, after a wee run the pressure drops to around 1 bar when on idle :evil:
    Is this normal??
    Do others suffer the same problem (needs chrono pack to have oil pressure gauge)

broken_brian
    that is because the oil is thicker when it is cold and once you have been on a run it has warmed up and thinned out a bit that is all, my alfa does the same although it starts about 4 bar and drops to 2 bar on idle.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Yep, i can understand that, but, a 4 bar drop in pressure is quite high, in my opinion nearly 60 psi, hmmm

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    I'd have thought a 4 bar drop is excessive.

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Dunno much about the New Mini engine but if it was a classic I'd be worried. Mind you new cars seem to use very thin oil - does this mean lower oil pressure? Go see a dealer quick I would say to see if it is normal.

Our cabrio has the chrono pack and I want to say normal running when oil is up to temp is just under 5 bar but without taking it out for a run cannot be 100% sure.
    Cooper Coupe...

broken_brian
    As long as it is just at idle 1 bar should be enough as long as it picks up when you start reving the engine everything should be ok as the engine is not under any real stress at idle.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    My figures were a bit out as well :I it's more like 2 bar it's losing 8) so, i'm happy enough with that, but, would still like any other comments from other owners with the pressure gauge

Wannabe F1 test pilot Neil and Lorna's Avatar
    Hi Alan

My gauge does move about a bit as well.
    I'll check how much tomorrow and re post.

Neil
    Neil Lorna

MINI Countryman Cooper S All 4