Apple chips

euan
    Well, I know the oft told arguments on here of apple verses Windows, so what do the apple people think of the Intel chips being used in all future Apple Macs?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4612951.stm

minidriver#1
    Nothing strange about that, after all did Apple and IBM not team up for the current G5 processor architecture?

GAJ
    This move has been rumoured for a while! Apple have used IBM chips for the last 10 years (Power PC). Prior to that it used Motorola chipsets. The decision to switch to Intel has been made because IBM do not have a clear and sustainable development roadmap which means that Apple would be hindered in the development of future products. They have already ran into issues with the IBM chip such as the heat it creates, hence the liquid cooling seen on the latest high end models and the lack of a G5 Powerbook.

On the whole the industry seems happy that this is a sensible decision, so long as Apple ensures that emulation of older software on the new architecture is efficient and it looks like that this is in hand with Rosetta, a technology that will translate Power PC coded applications to the new platform. Plus a wee bonus is that Mac users will be able to dual boot to Windaes if the urge occurs without using Virtual PC!:)

euan
    The reason IBM haven't created a development plan is that they are focussed on supplying chips to PS3, XBOX 360 and the new Nintendo Revolution. Apple is low volume compared to those three, from a corporate viewpoint.

It does make me think I'll get a Mac next.