Its so stupid and sad

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum!
    Ive been here for ages mate - he's called Brian I think!!!!

lightbody
    Ooops, sorry Martin - i know you have - just hadn't had my morning coffee yet!!

minihabit
    Mmm,

As I'm refering to a car that my wife has just spent 16K on I'm pretty sure I'm not being derogatory...!

Picture the scene.. 'Brian go and move the MINI/Mini. Obviously when spoken aloud there is no way of knowing which one is being referred to, so its Brian go and move the S or GT or Estate or Grannys car (don't ask) and now the BINI!

purely affectionate I assure you!

5 cars is just a bad habit gone wrong over many years and an understanding wife!

(helps that I can insure all 4 for the price of insuring 1 New MINI...)

Brian

minihabit
    PS

The tortured development referred to was mainly done by ROVER - I have spoken to one of the engineers.....

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Welcome Brian. Funny how things change - I hate the term "Bini" as years ago it was used to slag of my & my friends Minis by people who didn't like them :evil: (fools!:clown:), refering to they way they rusted. This was before the BMW version was even thought of.

edit - canny spell!

minihabit
    Quote of the week

'rust is lighter than titanium'

and yes it was on a racing Mini

arthur_pendragon
    quote:1* Originally posted by Steve74

All just sounds like simple jelousy to me. It's easier to say you hate the new one if you canny stump up the cash!

2* Maybe just me, but I think the old one was cool in it's day but now unless its a Cooper S vintage ex-Steve McQueen or Peter Sellers owned car I think give it a miss. Times have changed, if you want a classic car fine, otheriwise get a decent car!:evil:
    1* It's not actually jealousy or because i can't stump up the cash... it's simply because i don't like them.. they totally divert from what the mini name is supposed to be.....

2* each to thier own, i wouldn't drive an austin allegro, or a princess.... but some mans gold is another mans rubbish.... and as for a decent car, since buying mine, i've actually spent alot less on repairs than i have on my modern car....

Ta

arthur

Sponsor
    quote:Originally posted by arthur_pendragon

quote:1* Originally posted by Steve74

All just sounds like simple jelousy to me. It's easier to say you hate the new one if you canny stump up the cash!

2* Maybe just me, but I think the old one was cool in it's day but now unless its a Cooper S vintage ex-Steve McQueen or Peter Sellers owned car I think give it a miss. Times have changed, if you want a classic car fine, otheriwise get a decent car!:evil:
    1* It's not actually jealousy or because i can't stump up the cash... it's simply because i don't like them.. they totally divert from what the mini name is supposed to be.....

2* each to thier own, i wouldn't drive an austin allegro, or a princess.... but some mans gold is another mans rubbish.... and as for a decent car, since buying mine, i've actually spent alot less on repairs than i have on my modern car....

Ta

arthur

whats the mini name supposed to be Arthur?

Wul
    I reckon he means MINI = "mini" as in ickle sleepy. <sighs> why oh why do these people want to keep trying to make all the people at the oxford plant un-employed over the name of a car!!:disapprove:

The Dogfather
    My tuppence!

mini - A great car, an icon! A British developed small car that was so ahead of it's time it was able to continue for 40 years with very little development, just think what might have been if BL/Rover had continued to develop/redesign the car over those 40 years.

I drove a H reg (new style H) 1300 Cooper as I was considering swaping from my Citroen AX Forte. I didn't swap because the Cooper whilst fun was a terrible car in comparison to the modern AX (which is crap now in comparison to a modern supermini). It was noisey, it dropped oil, it had rust (only 4 years old at the time), 4 speed box, slow, unsafe etc.

Now if I was in the market for a second classic car then a mini would be top of my list and I would be willing to ignore it's faults and revel in the nostalgia but as an everyday car? No thanks!

MINI - developed initially by Rover but completed by BMW, built in the UK in a modern factory. They might have got the dimensions wrong but they certainly captured the spirit of the original coopers. They even managed to source the coarse engine just like the A series .

As a modern car which sets out to emulate the original I can't fault the new MINI. It's right up there with the best small hatchbacks why? because BMW had a hand in it's development. Rover has never been able to build a decent, reliable car without outside assistance.

Arthur - my message to you! Get over it, it's time to move on yes it's not a mini it's a MINI, a modern Brit built interpretation of a past icon and unlike BL/Rover, BMW has seen fit to invest (a sh!tload of money) in the future of the MINI name allowing it to live on long after the will have classics have rusted away. It's called progress, but with a name like Arthur Pendragon you're probably incapable of looking forward!

I will always have a soft spot for the mini and I might even end up owning one (a 60s cooper S would be my choice). The fact remains - the mini is dead, so long live the MINI!