Hartge Coversion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    yiponwah
    Cheers Bonnie scotland, I dotn think my dealer going to be unhappy about cos i bet they probably want a shot of it too when it in for service stuff fix. How much the insurance group gone up with the upgrade cos I only got problem is that I am only 20.

From Dave

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Wow whats that in english, i guess the question is how much does your insurance go up, well, 2 stories here and i'm not saying what i've done:-
    The hartge conversion is virtually invisible, you would really have to be clued up and know what you are looking for and can tell by looking at the slightly smaller but shiny pulley. The original is matt.
    You could argue that if you were in a crash the car would not be able to be driven therefore the insurance inspector could not determine if it had been converted.
    Doing the decent thing will increase your insurance and at your age i'm scared to even think what it may go up to.
    For example, i am 43, honest and i was 375 quid with directline and after the conversion it went up to 695 You are 20, ouch, you are gonna be hit very hard. Directline have BHP bands, starting at 0 - 12 BHP and on up to whatever.

Hope that helps

Bonnie Scotland

yiponwah
    cheers for your help bonnie scotland:), I probably leave the coversion until next year since the car is only a month old.. hehhe

richardwatson
    where abouts in scotland can you get a hartge conversion and do they have a web address?

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    quote:Originally posted by richardwatson

where abouts in scotland can you get a hartge conversion and do they have a web address?
    pretty sure that Grassicks in Perth are agents for Hartge:)

Julz
    quote:Originally posted by john
    pretty sure that Grassicks in Perth are agents for Hartge:)
    The man is correct (it does happen occasionally!!) but you have to go through Hartge (Birds) and they contact Grassicks, who cantact you!:clown:

Mini Me
    there are people out there who are going to expect this reply from me,but i have my shovel ready:blackeye:.If you go down the non MINI conversion avenue(depending on the dealership)you will invalidate your warranty(if related to the conversion).In most cases,the dealed who fits the kit ,is the only one who will honour it.But as for TLC, it clearly stated in the back of your TLC book, any mods fitted that are non MINI,will invalidate your TLC,again can very much depend on the dealer,but i have seen it it happen many times(most of which the customer has never been told by the fitting dealer)Since MINI have invested in JCW in such a big way, things are getting very strict,and they will charge you,and then you have the whole re-sale issue,cos if you don't have TLC ,most people and every dealer(ok ,i expect there will be some)wont touch it.
    So, i'm not saying don't get it,i just feel you should know the facts.:blackeye::blackeye:
    Wait to you see the abuse i get from this reply<cannae find me ,i'm under ma desk>:(

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Iain,
    Of course you have a very valid point and i'm not gonna flame you for it.
    This topic has been thrashed to death both here and on MINI2, i will always comment on it though
    To be held to ransom by a large car giant like BMW is quite un-nerving, Microsoft recently lost large sums of money trying to ensure that their products only were used with their own software, it failed and quite rightly so.
    For BMW to take this particular stance of cancelling your TLC is totally ridiculous, i can understand that if any of the mods caused a failure, then there is a question of acceptance and blame that can be discussed.
    I could go on and on etc, but, answer me this hypothetical question, if anyone were to install a non MINI hi fi and their engine seized will you still honour the warranty and TLC, even though it clearly states in the TLC book it won't.
    Or, if anyone were to install a non MINI body kit and the brakes failed, etc etc :evil:

Mini Me
    I think on the warranty side of things,it is very much a gray area,as the fault has to be directly linked to the non MINI part,so if you fitted a sound system for example ,only the unit and any related parts would be affected,as for TLC,the stance is anything non MINI will not be covered by TLC,there for you would have to pay for the service(which i have seen happen a few times)
    The conditions of TLC state"any form of tuning or performance enhancement that is not MINI approved invalidates the MINI tlc agreement"

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Tuning is exactly my point, all radios are tuned, as it clearly states in the TLC manual
    I for one do not care about the big boy bully tactics and would welcome any discussion relating to a failed part that caused any damage to be proven beyond reasonable doubt that it was to blame.
    It's about time BMW accepted that there are many other reputable tuners and suppliers out there that are equal to, but more importantly that some are far superior to their own products.
    It is not acceptable to me that i or anyone else should have to pay the asking price for their own engine conversion or tuning product or do without, i, as the consumer must have the right to choose what i do with my hard earned cash, anything else contravenes the European commision of fair trade.
    Don't get me wrong here, i own another BMW car :) but, i would be easily moved if i was in any way treated unfairly