90 BHP Classic Opinion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    The final (97 - 00) TPi Cooper S Works had 90bhp which gave 0 to 60 in 8.9 secs and 102 mph however it is not that simple.
    The TPi Minis had a very high final drive ratio to meet noise regulations (2.76:1) which reduced performance
    example
    - SPi Cooper (91 - 96), 63bhp, 3.1:1 final drive, 11.5 sec / 92mph
    - TPi all Minis (97 - 00), 63bhp, 2.76:1 final drive, 12.2 / 90 mph
    and just to complicate things most performance built engines use 3.44:1 final drive - great for performance but might need ear defenders for motorway cruising
    Also the 13 inch wheels which were made available for the first time on the TPi minis (as big wheels were/are the fashion) resulted in a performance loss
    - TPi Sports Pack (63bhp) - 12.8 / 84mph

90 bhp is a good figure to aim for as it will be a reliable road engine, higher outputs are possible but the engine becomes less flexible and wears out quickly.
    If you want sensible road power and big track / mini run power then a variable boost Turbo is great but complicated and expensive.

So in conclusion (at last I hear you say!)
    Find a Mini with a 90bhp engine, 3.44:1 diff and a nice set of 12 inch wheels and you will have a wee flying macine - 0 t0 60 under 8 secs I would think
    Thats what I plan to fit to my classic eventually

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Cheers Duncan, i'm more than likely to be getting one from PL Mini, some very nice 90 BHP motors, hopefully with the 3.44 diff

S7JGW
    TPI minis 90mph? Ats before ye change into 4th. Mine ene filled the clock, it was a standard 1.3 Mpi with a RC 40 cat back exhaust.