Taking MINI to Spain - advice please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lightbody
    1. I bought my car at the end of September last year. Since then its been perfectly reliable so has not been back to the dealers at all. Its now done 4000 "spirited" miles - is it worth taking it for a check up before taking it to Spain in early June (for the IMM) where it may be used in 40C heat?

2. Its got 16" runflats on it. Will I believe their claims, or invest in a space-saver spare to take with me?

3. Headlight beam adjusters - anyone fitted these?

4. Fire Extinguisher - apparently it can be fitted under the drivers seat - anyone done thise? Also been told it can go in the glovebox...

5. Warning triangle - can be fitted under the parcel shelf? Anyone done this?

6. First aid kit/tow rope/warning jacket - thinking of getting the wee MINI kit that includes these in a 'safety pack'.

Thanks for any tips!

quote:Originally posted by lightbody

1. I bought my car at the end of September last year. Since then its been perfectly reliable so has not been back to the dealers at all. Its now done 4000 "spirited" miles - is it worth taking it for a check up before taking it to Spain in early June (for the IMM) where it may be used in 40C heat?

2. Its got 16" runflats on it. Will I believe their claims, or invest in a space-saver spare to take with me?

3. Headlight beam adjusters - anyone fitted these?

4. Fire Extinguisher - apparently it can be fitted under the drivers seat - anyone done thise? Also been told it can go in the glovebox...

5. Warning triangle - can be fitted under the parcel shelf? Anyone done this?

6. First aid kit/tow rope/warning jacket - thinking of getting the wee MINI kit that includes these in a 'safety pack'.

Thanks for any tips!
    Ok requirements as I know them re touring with the caravan. We travel through various countries and they all have different rules but in general we take.

1. Car documents insurance etc this is a requirement.
    2. Bulbs, first aid kit
    3. New syle driver licence
    4. Tavel insurance and recovery service.
    5. Passport (don't forget the passport)
    6. Ferry tickets (don't fprget the ferry tickets)

full details visit www.caravanclub.co.uk

Cooper Coupe...

Infact here you go

just ignore the bits about caravans etc but this will keep you right about legal requirements i.e. two warning triangles for Spain etc

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdon...imeAbroad4.pdf
    Cooper Coupe...

The AA list of compulsory equipment for driving on the continent can be found here

duncan
    Remember the paper part of the new style licence

If travelling down through France remember plenty of Euros for those tolls.

If you don't read the caravanclub link thing one point about Spain if you get got crossing the white line in the middle of roads etc they throw the book at you:(
    Cooper Coupe...

lightbody
    OK thanks... we're travelling as a group so its already been drummed into me by the others about what I need to take!!

duncan
    How are you getting there Rob?

The ferry from Plymouth to Spain, or a long drive through France?

lightbody
    Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry... 2 nights on board.

duncan
    Just wondered.

One of the signalmen from my work was on the Plymouth to Spain Ferry a few weeks back, and i'd have asked him for info if it was the route you were taking.

Just to add from my own experience on the SS Canberra, the Bay of Biscay can get very choppy, even in summertime.:(