Gearknob problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GAJ
    Yesterday the plastic which covers the numbers on the top of my gearknob split and started to peel off. It looks like it might have been due to the Scottish weather. We get one sunny day and this happens!

It looks like it's back to Dunedin for me cos it feels horrible in my hand! I will mention the hole in the handbrake boot as well and hopefully get them both replaced under warranty. I wonder if this merits a tin of sweets too?

Resident old yin.
    I've got one of those fancy Whalen jobbies on order which will hopefully prevent my knob from peeling in the future

GAJ
    How much was it - I thought about that geeting one.

Resident old yin.
    I'm getting it through the group buy on MINI2. Cost including shipping is $125

That's $30 off the usual price. He'll no doubt run another offer in the future.

Hopefully It will be with me by next week. I'll post a pic of it then.

lightbody
    The top of my gearknob seems to be made of a strange soft plastic that has gone all sticky and hazy...

Julz
    Mine goes a wee bit sticky and hazy too, but a good dicht soon sorts that problem out!!:)

Wul
    The language being used in this thread is F$c%ing terrible!

My knob is fine so far (touch wood) - no not that kind of wood!

GAJ - it was citrus sweets last week!

Resident old yin.
    If anyone would like to see my knob have a look here:
    http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/picture16831.html

Tony
    Top notch KenL,

I was a bit worried about just what i was about to see when i opened the link,...but thankfully it was just a picture of your whalen........

looks good,....could you get anything engraved on the top??..it would be cool to have something funky written on it, but ive a feeling if i did that, my missus would never know what gear she was in....

how does it feel,...certainly looks ace

Resident old yin.
    It feels superb. Doesn't get all sticky like the standard one.

You can in theory get anything you want done. He can even do really fancy shapes as long as you supply data in the right format for his machine. If you can't do it there was some guy on MINI2 who offered to convert jpeg etc into the correct format for his CNC machine.

It's pretty pricey but well worth it. In fact pretty good value when other upgrades are so expensive, such as plastic chrome grills at £60.

I got the initials as they fit both me and my wife Karin. Also, I didn't get the 5 gear pattern engraved in case my next car is an S with 6 gears. I initally asked him to copy the MINI badge but he wouldn't do it in case some law suit came after him - he is in the USA after all.