Ipod Photo...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eggy7496
    Hey guys, i know theres been a lot of talk about ipods but i've never really seen the answer i'm looking for.

i just bought the new ipod photo (30GB) and i know its compatible in some way or another to our minis, but my question is...

is it possible to have it connected to the mini...and for the multi-functional steering wheel to work....and also for the factory fitted cd changer all to still work?

i also have the harmon kardon system just to let you know incase that makes any additional problems.

please can you help??

GAJ
    It can be done using one of these but there are a couple of threads detailing the problems that others have experienced. In a nutshell, the software in the Dension can cause all sorts of problems with the car's electrics (locking being disabled, lights that won't go out etc.) Dension are still constantly developing the software and releasing updates that seem to work for some but not for others. Also the interface is clunky and slow, to say the least. A simpler, cheaper option is simply to get the aux-in kit from the dealer and forget about controlling the ipod using the MFSW as it doesn't work properly anyway.

Eggy7496
    so basically link it up to my mini and control it from the actual ipod itself?

and everything else works fine and normal?

i spoke to a guy at john clark, he says for £200 they will fit an ipod connection which will charge my ipod at the same time but i have to do away with my cd changer, and it will only work thru the steering wheel if i put all the songs onto specific playlists.

SCRAP THAT IDEA!!

GAJ
    What he is offering for £200 is what I have linked too. £100 for fitting is daylight robbery. It takes about 10 minutes to install - even if you have never done it before! I have a belkin autokit and tunekit. The tunekit fits in the cup holder and holds the ipod where you can see it and the autokit stays in the ciggy lighter, permanently connected to the aux-in and it works very well.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I had the Dension ice link, keeps freezing the iPod, i looked at Gaj's install, very nice and works well, would have been my option had i not sold the car

Scottch
    We got Icelink plus installed last week.

Does exactly what it says on the tin (providing you carry out the required updates), lets you play any playlist on your I-Pod, charges the I-Pod up, works with the MFSW - no problems (yet).

Very happy with it so far!

Cheers!

Scott

GAJ
    I was disappointed that you can only access playlists using the MFSW and not the iPod library itself. And only the first 6 playlists! You can swith the Dension interface off and revert back to the iPod interface but this has to be redone each time the iPod is put in the cradle and is a real faff! Seems a bit daft having 10 000 songs or so on your iPod and only being able to access 6 playlists. You may as well use the CD changer. Good luck with it and I hope it continues working okay. Heather will be able to provide an update on what fuse to remove if it freezes up!

Car
    R56 MCS
    As Gary says, mines worked fine for the first few weeks too. Im going for the same set up as Gary in my new mini (which is going to have the HK). I would never touch anything that Dension makes every again:(

Scottch
    We can view all of the playlists and listen to any of them using the MFSW or the controls on the radio. It's not limited to the first 6 playlists at all.

Sounds like the latest update has cured a few of the problems you've experienced.

In fact, I was so impressed by the way it's integrated into the car and works, I've ordered another Icelink plus for my own car.

Eggy7496
    ok so lets see if i get this

if i use GAJ's set up i can:

keep present set-up perfectly normal ie. the MFSW controls cd changer, my mini disc player in the front and radio, and volumes.

harmon kardon doesnt add problems

and the ipod sits in the cigarette bit and u control which songs you want to hear from actual ipod itself

but which mode does the ipod play through? an additional mode to radio, minidisc, cd changer? or is one of them sacraficed?

does GAJ's method allow the ipod to be charged?

still a little confused.... dont be mad